Sidetone on the 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mwickens, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mwickens macrumors member

mwickens

I can't hear myself in the speaker or headphones when talking on my iPhone. Anyone else have this problem? According to this article, the 3G is supposed to have more sidetone than usual, so I'm worried I have a defective unit. :(

2. mwickens thread starter macrumors member

mwickens

I've tried restoring, but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sidetone is a subtle effect meant to make speaking with a hunk of plastic over your ear sound more natural. It isn't something that should be noticable to you. I doubt there is anything wrong. Even if you phone isn't providing any feedback of your own voice you should be able to hear yourself fine as long as you aren't trying to embedd the phone in your face.

4. mwickens thread starter macrumors member

mwickens

Right. That's why its absence on my phone makes talking on it seem unnatural.

Could someone confirm that their 3G does feed back some of their voice? A test I use is to insert the headphones, go to the Visual Voicemail greeting screen and hit record. Then tap on the microphone or blow into it. When I do this, I hear nothing through the headphones. How about others?

Thanks,
    Mark

5. self macrumors regular

So, 3 years later, is anyone else having this problem? I hear no sidetone when using a headset with my 3GS. Doesn't it bother anyone that they can't hear their own voice when using a sound-isolating headset??