Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Audio has been less than stellar long before El capitan, in my opinion. But it does seem that El capitan was the worst of them in this department.
And I read that article a few days ago. I do hope its true! But the article is scarce on details about what and how its been fixed. So im slightly sceptical..

Fingers crossed though!

Reactions: Mark.

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Too early to say if it has fixed "all" the issues.

With El Capitan it was not possible to play DSD128 or DSD256 files to any of Chord's DACs without frequent drop-outs. Single-rate DSD files (DSD64) worked fine, but anything higher than that was a mess.

So far so good ... no drop outs even coming off a USB 3.0 hub.

So something has changed ... we'll see if the "good behavior" continues, or if it's just taking much longer than normal for such dropouts to occur.

Spoke too soon!

While the frequency is much reduced, they're still occurring. That's even with DSD128.

And that's running a fresh-install of Sierra and a number of audio players, on a 12 core nMP, so it's definitely not an issue with the source computer not being powerful enough or their being anything else in the chain causing issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark.

ibillabong

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
For anyone that searched CoreAudio and MacOS Sierra (like I did) and found this thread:

CoreAudio is working again for me in Sierra! I just upgraded today. I have a DIGI002 Mixer, but more importantly, I have a MBOX 1 (with Focusrite inputs).

Installed Core Audio 7.42 (Search for coreaudio_installer_v742_49904.dmg)
Restarted
Booted up my legacy version of GarageBand 6.0.5
All is good!

I don't know if Apple heard us, but I'm super happy to have my Mbox 1 working again!

Too early to say if it has fixed "all" the issues.

With El Capitan it was not possible to play DSD128 or DSD256 files to any of Chord's DACs without frequent drop-outs. Single-rate DSD files (DSD64) worked fine, but anything higher than that was a mess.

So far so good ... no drop outs even coming off a USB 3.0 hub.

So something has changed ... we'll see if the "good behavior" continues, or if it's just taking much longer than normal for such dropouts to occur.

Spoke too soon!

While the frequency is much reduced, they're still occurring. That's even with DSD128.

And that's running a fresh-install of Sierra and a number of audio players, on a 12 core nMP, so it's definitely not an issue with the source computer not being powerful enough or their being anything else in the chain causing issues.

gigga

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017
For anyone that searched CoreAudio and MacOS Sierra (like I did) and found this thread:

CoreAudio is working again for me in Sierra! I just upgraded today. I have a DIGI002 Mixer, but more importantly, I have a MBOX 1 (with Focusrite inputs).

Installed Core Audio 7.42 (Search for coreaudio_installer_v742_49904.dmg)
Restarted
Booted up my legacy version of GarageBand 6.0.5
All is good!

I don't know if Apple heard us, but I'm super happy to have my Mbox 1 working again!

Hi brother, are you serious that driver works on Sierra?

Im all day long trying to make it works, looks impossible :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.