Sierra GM to official

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by AnTaR3s, Sep 11, 2016.

1. AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey

I am usually doing a clean install on my iMac and MacBookPro once a year when Apple releases a major software update. As this takes a few hours of my work day, I thought about doing a clean install of the GM today (I have a few hours to spare...) and then simply upgrade from the GM to the standard release (without clean install of course). I wondered if this is easily possible?! When I install the GM today, can I just upgrade to the standard version via the App Store whenever Apple releases the update without any major complications?

thanks

2. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Is it the dev GM or the public beta GM that you have? (there were actually two different bundles released to the dev's - the latter matching the public GM).

Yes, you can install this and if there are any changes that Apple wants to make available you should receive them as updates via the App Store/software updater.

3. simonmet, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Yes, that's exactly how it works. The GM is the standard edition that's likely to be released but if not you'll get a minor update patch. After release it ceases to be a developer (or public) preview so you receive normal updates through Software Update the App Store just like everyone else. So there's no problem installing GM and continuing with that if you so choose.

I have a sneaking suspicion this may not be the final GM because I noticed at least one fairly annoying install bug, but whether that's reported in sufficient quantity or is serious enough to warrant a second GM remains to be seen. I believe Apple have issued multiple GMs in the past.

Versions prior to GM came with a Feedback app and possibly some extra debugging and/or logging features enabled but that's not the case for GM as it's intended for mass release.

Edit: I downloaded the public beta GM.

4. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Great. I'll start downlinking now then! :D

I am on the public account btw...if this makes any difference

5. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Heh. Not if you're downloading now. Both have 16A320 for the bundle now. :) The original dev was 16A319.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Feedback Assistant should be found in the golden master. It might be no longer in your Dock, but the assistant is present.

@AnTaR3s there's a recent topic Clean Install and linked from the foot of that page, five similar topics (not all for Sierra, but some of the advice in past topics should be as good now as when the advice was originally posted.

7. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What was the install bug, please?

8. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

The install "bug" to which I referred is that on my first attempt the installer appeared to have frozen toward the end of the process. I think it was a problem with partial sleep on my MacBook Pro (2015) even though it was plugged in and fully charged and the screen was still awake. I actually thought it had failed and hard reset, but I believe closing the lid and opening would've fixed it.

I should mention this was from an erase and install. I didn't notice the problem on subsequent attempts but possibly because I made an attempt to "move the mouse" every so often to prevent sleep.

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I had some graphics weirdness during the installation that I've not seen before, so I was wondering if you might have been referring to that.

Thanks.