'Sierra' iCloud Drive vs The Competition

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by miniroll32, Jul 10, 2016.

1. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Well... now we get to sync our Desktop folder and Documents folder, so there's less reason to worry about putting certain files in the iCloud Drive location. But how much does this improve the experience?

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on the speed (download/upload) differences between iCloud Drive and the likes of Dropbox/OneDrive/Box.

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

iCloud Drive

Uploading is so excruciatingly slow, even with the OS in safe mode, that I can't effectively test the service or the new features. If I'm lucky, a few hundred bytes per second. YMMV and we should make no judgement whilst things are pre-release.

I'm in the UK, south coast (City of Brighton and Hove), using TalkTalk broadband with a fibre connection. From an adjacent computer running Kubuntu, a lazy test result (not bothering to stem the flows of traffic to/from the three or more other devices that use the same router): http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=146861381831610536959 – with that 18.3 Mbps upload example, I don't imagine that my ISP is contributory to the slowness with iCloud.

Competition

A few years ago (before a merger with LaCie) I often recommended Wuala. Things changed significantly in 2011; the recommendations ceased. Later, LaCie was acquired by Seagate and eventually, Wuala ceased.

I do have Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive, but I refrain from using both services so I can't make a comparison.

I sometimes test Upthere beta on Android. Beyond the beta (reasonably soon) there'll be a web client to enjoy.