Sierra install on a still in the box MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ppfd, Oct 17, 2016.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Bought a MBA back in July with the specific purpose of using it for finishing my online university classes.
    Life got in the way, and the MBA still is in the box and I start class Oct 31.

Would I be alright doing a download and install over the current OS on this unit as it has never been turned on.
    Or should I do a full clean install?

2. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Either one is fine. I just prefer a clean install whenever possible.

3. Weaselboy, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is zero reason to do a clean install. Most of the upgrade problems people have are due to third party apps that are installed that are incompatible with the new OS. Since you have a new Mac with no apps installed, you won't have this issue so a clean install is a complete waste of time.

If you do a clean install, you will also have to redownload and reinstall all the included iLife and iWorks apps. There is no need at all to put yourself through all this.

4. Brammy macrumors 65816

Do the out-of-the-box setup to download to get the iWork apps and the like installed. Then download and install Sierra.

I always recommend letting the intial setup do its thing.

Just don't do anything with Filevault until you are done. Filevault takes forever on initial setup. Best to let it run later.

5. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Thanks all, was holding off to turn this unit on till I started class. Figured an upgrade would do alright, just needed to confirm

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A new Mac out of the box will already have those apps installed. What you should do though is right after doing setup go the Mac App Store and login with your AppleID and "claim" your free iLife and iWorks apps so they are tied to your AppleID if you ever need to redownload.

7. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Might I make a suggestion, hold off on updating to Sierra until you know which applications you will be using and that those applications are compatible with Sierra.

It would be a huge pain if you had to roll it back due to incompatibilities.

You can disable automatic OS Upgrades through System Preferences > App Store > check the box next to Automatically install macOS updates. At least while you are in school. The last thing you want is to get to class and figure out you can't use your computer for 20 minutes while it upgrades to the latest version.

8. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

I will installing MS word free from the university along with whatever other required programs the offer.

I will be buying Perrla this one I'll have to check on.

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I would just stick with El Capitan until at least the first revision of Sierra.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Um... I would not wait to open and try running - what if there is something wrong that needs fixing? You may not have enough time to get it fixed before classes. Or it is DOA?