Sierra is Zippier on Startup

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by krause734, Oct 10, 2016.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

I don't think I am imagining it, but my Mac Mini (Latest midrange model) seems quicker on start up. This is a pleasant surprise. Usually I turn it on, log in, and walk away for it to index and load or whatever. Now I can start more instantly. I don't regret getting the spinning 5400 RPM hard drive over a SSD now.

2. grcar Suspended

grcar

One normally would not actually power down a computer. Just put it to sleep or log off and leave the power on.

3. krause734 thread starter macrumors 6502a

krause734

4. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

I'd like to hear more comments about the benefits or improved speed of Sierra. As I said in a different thread, I also have a mini (2012 model) and see absolutely no benefit in any of the features that are convincing me to upgrade from El Cap. However, if it does, in fact, make it faster for either booting or regular operations then you have my attention.

For those who will suggest an SSD, I already have my OS and Applications on an external boot SSD and it's an amazing improvement that didn't require surgery on my mini. Highly suggested... but the point here is about Sierra and whether there are any benefits worth the risk of a upgrade.

In general, I try to stay up-to-date with the OS I'm running but Sierra just doesn't get me excited. I'm trying to find a reason... any reason at all.

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

6. wovel macrumors 68000

I was rebooting because of a drobo problem and it restarted so fast I thought it didn't. Crazy.

7. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

I never let my mini's sleep, I use that time as the backup window to my internet backup service. Inevitably any patch or OS update screws my I-tunes and I end up with a huge backup from fixing it.