Sierra, keyboard and mouse/trackpad become unresponsive

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by seveej, Feb 16, 2017.

1. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm having a weird issue, and have not found anything online which would help me explain the problem. I hope someone here will be able to help me troubleshoot/resolve the issue.

Gear:
    MBA 13" i7 (early 2014)
    - external mice (magic 2 and wired logitech)
    - external keyboard (Apple, wired)
    - external display (23" ACD)
    Sierra (10.12.3)

Symptoms:
    - All input channels become unresponsive.
    - Typically this happens so that the first which is dropped is the external mouse, thereafter the external keyboard, finally the built-in trackpad and keyboard stop functioning as well. There is usually a lag of about 10 seconds from the first unresponsively until all input devices stop functioning.
    - the computer does not stop functioning (music and video continue to play, menu meters and clock keep updating, it even recognises if I disconnect/connect my BT mouse), but mice and keyboard will stop "working".
    - Nothing indicative showing in console/logs. No crash reports.

Problem is resolved by:
    - Hard reset (power button for 10 secs)
    - Problem will occur again.

Qualifiers:
    - Has thus far happened only when connected to external stuff (mouse, keyboard, display).
    - Has started occurring only since I updated to Sierra (update, not clean install).
    - All external devices in question are unproblematic when used with other computer, and were unproblematic before upgrade to sierra.

Severity:
    - supremely annoying,
    - not fatal (no data loss yet, plus once the ext-mouse becomes unresponsive, I have a couple of seconds to save stuff)
    - Indicative of wider problem?

I've had this MBA for a couple of months, and have been very happy with it otherwise. I initially bought it for travel/coffeeshops, but have since used it as my main workplace computer.

Have tried:
    - disk first aid
    - disconnecting&reconnecting external inputs
    - NVRAM reset

Have not yet tried:
    - SMC reset (Error type not indicative of SMC reset, but will try that next time a hard reset is neccessary)
    - Clean install of Sierra (Trying to avoid wasting half a working day)
    - Roll-back to Yosemite (I'm no fan of the bleeding edge, but I was forced to replace my magic mouse with a MM2, which necessitated the upgrade to Sierra)

All (non-troll) comments appreciated.

RGDS,

2. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Not same as you but my 2009 and my 2010 macbook sometimes on boot does not see the keyboard and mouse.

A reboot usually fixes it.

rather annoying.

however clean install on my macbooks.

3. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Option + Command + P + R through no less than two Apple Chimes at startup, Parameter RAM NVRAM Reset.
    See if that has any affect

IF/THEN/ELSE

Check your %user%\Library\Preferences\com.apple.safari.plist files. There ought to be two, Safari and Extensions, possibly a third for iCloud push.
    Delete any rogue plist files for Safari