Sierra "Optimize Storage" & iOS apps

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by stagmeister, Sep 20, 2016.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused. The "optimize storage" feature suggests that I save space by "automatically removing iTunes movies and TV shows that you've already watched." But when I click on the iTunes section to see what's taking up space it (correctly) shows mostly iOS apps which are downloaded to my computer. I have thought for a long time that this is a stupid system because the apps won't run on macOS so why should I have them taking up 20-30 gb of my SSD?? Anyway I thought that perhaps now I'd be able to remove them from my computer. Is this not possible to do with the current system of "optimize storage"?

2. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

You can just delete them from the Apps section in your iTunes library if the option isn't on the Optimize Storage page, although there should be an x to the right of the file that lets you delete it there.

As far as the apps being on your Mac, this is from a bygone era before iCloud backups when iTunes would actually transfer the apps themselves to your computer to preserve the app data during a backup/restore. Or at least that's how I think it works.

Spent a solid hour one day trying to explain to my grandma why the Hulu app in iTunes won't work on her computer. Got nowhere, lol.