Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I think I already know the answer to this, but the only way to use Siri with a Mac mini is to get a USB web cam, right?

Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Never really thought about needing a mic for the mini until now.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I don't know about a random webcam, but you could:
  • Thunderbold display
  • Plugin microphone
  • Headphones with microphone
  • Bluetooth microphone / headset.

Skydoor Blue

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
I think I already know the answer to this, but the only way to use Siri with a Mac mini is to get a USB web cam, right?

Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Never really thought about needing a mic for the mini until now.

The Mac mini has neither a camera nor a microphone.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Buy a cheap microphone on Amazon for under $10 that plugs into the 3.5mm audio input.

You could get a USB mic but why tie up a USB port when the audio input is sitting open. Additionally, USB devices use processing power which means you're taking it away from other processes (not much but every bit counts).

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
I hear Apple has some fancy dancy wireless bluetooth earbuds coming out in October. Why waste a USB or a 3.5mm headphone jack!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.