Sierra = SLOW!

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by galaxy7, Apr 14, 2017.

1. galaxy7 macrumors member

OMG...updated to Sierra (currently on 10.12.4) and my computer is sslllooooooowww! No other problems or glitches, but dang did it load everything up. Everything is a time consuming journey. Very annoying. Anyone else have this?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Which Mac do you have?
    How much RAM is installed?
    Do you have a spinning hard drive - or an SSD?
    How long have you been using it with Sierra?
    A new upgrade to Sierra can take several hours of use before the system settles in.
    You may be able to tell in your Activity Monitor, as it will likely show that services, such as mdworker, may be taking a lot of resources. This is quite normal for the first few hours after an upgrade.
    If you have just upgraded to Sierra, give it a day or two.
    If you have a spinning hard drive, instead of an SSD, then it may not get much better.

3. anubis1980 macrumors regular

I have upgraded to Sierra again finally after trying it a while back and reverting to El Cap.

I have 2105 Rmbp, i7 16gb ram 512gb SSD, discrete Graphics and yes its slower than El Cap, for me anyway. Graphics are more stuttery, loading up from being off is quicker though, but UI is slower.

4. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

For me, the SSD is the key difference. Sierra is at least as fast as 10.11.6. But running these OSes on spinning HDs can be painful.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Morpheo has it right.
    Running newer versions of the Mac OS (from Mavericks "on up") can be downright painful if the Mac has only a platter-based hard drive.

One thing that can help:
    TURN OFF Spotlight indexing with this terminal command:
    sudo mdutil -i off
    (password required).

My prediction is that once you do this, things will go much better.

Insofar as "searching" is concerned, these two apps are superior to Spotlight:
    - EasyFind
    - Find Any File
    Both are small, and free.

6. anubis1980 macrumors regular

will this make a difference even with an ssd?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I have no performance problems on Sierra with an "old" late 2012 mbp - sure I wish I had an SSD but other than taking a bit to start up - I have no performance complaints - and it certainly hasn't gotten any worse with OS upgrades

9. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

I concur (2010 iMac) – there must be some other factor at work: suggest running Etrecheck