Sierra upgrade bricked MBP 2010?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by mcgandalf, Sep 30, 2016.

1. mcgandalf macrumors newbie

Hi,

Upgrading to Mac OS Sierra may have bricked my MacBook Pro 2010 (running a SSD) and I'd appreciate some help resolving.

I downloaded Sierra via the App Store in El Capitan and started running the installation wizard. All seemed fine - the MBP restarted itself and I was given a screen saying "insufficient disk space to install, click here to restart". So I did.

The MBP restarted itself and since then has been stuck on the grey/white screen with the Apple logo and progress bar stuck around 75% - overnight.

Here are the real problems -
    1) I can't boot in safe mode by powering off, repowering up and hitting SHIFT (left or right) when I hear the chime. It just gets stuck on the progress bar.
    2) Similarly I can't boot in recovery mode by doing the same and holding down CMD+R. Again gets stuck on progress bar.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

2. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

If you have a bootable usb of el capitan or sierra you could boot up from that and restore the computer to a time machine backup.

Did you make such a bootable usb?

And did you make a backup?

If answer is no to both then maybe the only option is internet recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201314