Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have had Sierra beta in my purchased list since early in betas. A second item added when the GM for Sierra was released. That item for Sierra GM changed in Purchased to just macOS Sierra.
So, today, at release time, I saw that the "Featured" tab in App Store now showed Sierra, replacing El Capitan. When I looked in "Purchases" the Sierra item had disappeared. The Sierra beta was still there.
I can download from the Download link in the Featured tab. No problem - until the download slowed down incredibly (estimate 42 hours), then eventually failed with a "problem" popup.
All quite expected, except the problem popup says "download again from the Purchases tab", and the macos Sierra is still missing from that tab.
I booted to an El Capitan partition, and the App Store in my El Capitan system shows the Sierra as a purchased item.
I though - OK, probably just a high traffic day, being the first day of full release and all. Download from the El Cap partition went without a hitch. (Found out I wasted my time, as it was identical to my last download of the GM :D )
So, App Store in El Cap shows my Sierra in the Purchased items.
Booted back to Sierra, and still missing from App Store/Purchased list. I tried resetting some caches/plist files in the system to get App Store to reload purchases, but still no Sierra. Nothing else is affected.

So, TL; DR... my question is:
Anyone see something similar in App Store, and how can I reset the Purchased list so it reloads completely? I think I am not too sure where to go - caches, somewhere in /var/folders ? That area is sometimes very hit and miss for me.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was never on any of the betas, but I installed on release day and it is not in my purchases list either. I even downloaded it a second time this morning just for grins and it is still not in the list. I have seen other posts saying the same thing, so I don't think it is anything wrong on our end.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, OK. I appreciate the response!
I logged in to my AppleID on a completely different Mac, then opened the App Store, and no Sierra in purchases on that Mac either.

Maybe Apple has simply stopped showing the current OS download in purchases, maybe it's just a misnomer to call it a "purchase" :D
I wonder what will happen when the next macOS release comes around. Is Apple going to stop making Sierra available to download, when the next macOS is released? I guess that question will come up next year, eh?

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.