Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
California
I've noticed that when my Xr which I use on Verizon is in sleep mode, the signal strength bars that show up on my car's display (through bluetooth connection to the phone) do not seem to update. Usually I will see one or 2 bars when I first start the car and drive off, but if I click on the power button on the phone, the car's display immediately goes up, very often to 5 bars. While I am not positive about this, I also think that it will stay at whatever number or bars the phone may have on it when it goes to sleep and I must therefor periodically tap the phone's power button to refresh this display in the car.
Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal? I also noticed a Galaxy S10e that I used to own right before the iphone doing this as well using Tmobile. I don't think this started happening until very recently though. I never noticed it at all before about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

jtmo3

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
I've noticed that when my Xr which I use on Verizon is in sleep mode, the signal strength bars that show up on my car's display (through bluetooth connection to the phone) do not seem to update. Usually I will see one or 2 bars when I first start the car and drive off, but if I click on the power button on the phone, the car's display immediately goes up, very often to 5 bars. While I am not positive about this, I also think that it will stay at whatever number or bars the phone may have on it when it goes to sleep and I must therefor periodically tap the phone's power button to refresh this display in the car.
Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal? I also noticed a Galaxy S10e that I used to own right before the iphone doing this as well using Tmobile. I don't think this started happening until very recently though. I never noticed it at all before about 2 weeks ago.
[doublepost=1558639917][/doublepost]Seems iphones have been like that for as long as I remember. It's a battery saving thing. My samsung 8 used to update the BT signal display every so often. Not real often. The only phone I had that worked real time for signal strength on BT was blackberry 10 phones.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
California
Wow, I had a 5c as recently as last September and never had this issue. At least not that I ever noticed. Then I went to Samsung last October and didn't see it there either until about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I did the latest upgrade on it. I guess either I hadn't noticed it there either or that upgrade changed it. Now that I've switched back to iphone I am seeing it all the time.
I suppose it's not important as long as the phone is still receiving properly and won't miss a call nor a message. I've checked on this and everything seems to be ok.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've never noticed this behavior, but maybe I never look close enough. However, with cellular data on, even when the phone turns the display off, I am not sure it really goes to sleep. It may however, go into low power bluetooth mode, which may stop the car display from updating, until a call comes in or bluetooth audio is used. I wonder if it does the same thing if connected to a car charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.