SIGBUS Errors (EXC_BAD_ACCESS), what does this mean?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allan.nyholm, May 7, 2009.

1. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Hi,

Recently I've been running into some errors that sounds like this in Console:

Code:
    Process:         Safari [6058]
    Path:            /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Identifier:      com.apple.Safari
    Version:         4 Public Beta (5528.16)
    Build Info:      WebBrowser-55281600~1
    Code Type:       X86 (Native)
    Parent Process:  launchd [95]

Date/Time:       2009-05-07 08:32:28.765 +0200
    OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
    Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000005
    Crashed Thread:  0
    Recently it was Safari Public Beta with Leech just installed trying to download through MacUpdate. A report came up saying that the failure might have been caused by Sparkle Plugin after which I had to relaunch Safari of course.

I have the same error when I tried to launch Mahjong Solitarus 1.7. I updated to version 2 and I haven't seen it after that for Mahjong Solitarus.

I have had Little Snitch installed until just two days ago if that matters. I have checked my RAM for faults but they came out error free with both the Hardware Test from Apple and with Tech Tool Pro 5. I read somewhere that this error could occur with bad ram.

Is my launchd process at fault here? should I rebuild it?

What is the deal here? Someone shed light on this matter, please.

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Check again. This error is indeed quite often a symptom of a failing RAM module.

I'd recommend booting into single-user mode and using memtest to check your RAM. I've had the Apple Hardware Test pass RAM that was later found to be bad before, and TechTool's been a near-worthless POS since c. System 7.

3. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Thank you. I will try each RAM module then by itself. I found a page to download memtest so everything should be set. I'm just afraid that it will take ages to complete the test on 2x2GB RAM modules.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

A google search of EXC_BAD_ACCESS gives pages of results and details.

5. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Good job telling me now :p Thanks. I think I just did a search for SIGBUS error initially.

I replaced the 2x2GB RAM I had installed and replaced them with the standard RAM that came with the machine(2x1GB) after having a faulty RAM module - I didn't want to take any chances, so both were taken out.

I will make sure to use Google and use the right search terms.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

figuring out the 'right' search terms is an art in itself.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The rest of the crash log(s) is(are) actually more important and more telling than what you've posted.

8. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I will gladly post the entire recent crashlog for Safari with this SIGBUS error if you would like to look it over?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sure. Post it as a text doc attachment, it'll probably be too long to cut & paste into a post.

10. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I hope I attached the file correctly.

Thanks for looking it over. Maybe you can give me some more insight.

Attached Files:

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try removing "Safari AdBlock" and see if you still have the problem.

12. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

would Safari Adblock go in and affect Mahjong Solitarus too? I mentioned in my first post that I got it when launching Mahjong Solitarus(version 1.7) too but have yet to see it again for that particular app since upgrading it.

I will remove the Safari Adblock inputmanager and see if I ever get a EXC_BAD_ACCESS crash again. It's just hard to live without an adblocker(Maybe I could give GlimmerBlocker a second try). But I guess I have to try it just to see if it helps.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

EXC_BAD_ACCESS is a very generic term, and doesn't apply in the way you're thinking it does. An app crash now and then is nothing to concern yourself over. It's when they are often and reproducible that you have a problem.

In this case, I think it's likely that the adblocker doesn't work with the Safari 4 beta.

In the mahjong case, it could have been an OS update that required an upgrade to the app to fix the error.

As an example, here's the beginning of an iTunes crashlog, and I don't have "Safari Adblock" installed.

Code:
    Process:         iTunes [5693]
    Path:            /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
    Identifier:      com.apple.iTunes
    Version:         8.0.2 (8.0.2)
    Build Info:      iTunes-8022001~2
    Code Type:       X86 (Native)
    Parent Process:  launchd [219]

Date/Time:       2009-02-17 14:06:48.856 -0500
    OS Version:      Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 (9G55)
    Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000f7298120
    Crashed Thread:  0

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's interesting. I use both SafariBlock and Safari AdBlock with the Safari 4 beta, with no problems at all.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Feel free to look at the crash log and give your opinion then..

16. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The crash occurred inside the clicktoflash plugin (which includes the Sparkle framework). Remove it and see if your problems go away.

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes, had I been... err... awake, I would have recommended looking at the backtrace. Try disabling any Safari add-ons (or, even better, all SIMBL-based software) and see if the problem persists. My bet is that it won't.

18. Meea macrumors newbie

what does "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)" mean?

This came up on my iMac when all my Microsoft Office programs started crashing immediately after launching. Anybody know how to fix this?:mad:

Process: Microsoft Word [220]
    Path: /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Microsoft Word
    Identifier: com.microsoft.Word
    Version: 10.1.0 (10.1.0)
    Code Type: PPC (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [74]

Date/Time: 2009-07-17 12:39:10.704 -0700
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 ??? 0x0052f42c 0 + 5436460

Thread 0 crashed with PPC Thread State 32:

19. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Unfortunately that crash log is truncated literally on the very first interesting line. Post the rest? (Although iirc MS Office crashlogs tend to be a lot harder to interpret than Safari ones)

<edit>
    I take that back. That's just a borked crash log. One frame of backtrace, and it's labeled as "???". Not much we can do, sorry.
    </edit>

20. Meea macrumors newbie

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) crash

Are you saying nothing can be done because of the ???. Or should I still post the complete crashlog to further decipher this problem?

21. thodges macrumors newbie

Hi,

A few days back I updated my MacBook to Safari 5.0.1., running Leopard 10.5.8. It seems that ever since then my Mail has become very unstable, and crashes constantly.

I am attaching here to the relevant crash report, and was wondering if you might take a look, and give me a few pointers. All was working perfectly until a few days back, and although the problem does seem to be post Safari update, I can't be 100% certain.

I'm guessing the problem is an incompatibility with a third-part plug-in, but the problem is, which one ?

Thanks for any help and assistance you can provide.

Best,

T.

Attached Files:

22. larencejg macrumors newbie

Shockwave 10.1.82.76 plugin causing EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) in Firefox 3.6.9

Shockwave 10.1.82.76 plugin causing EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) in Firefox 3.6.9

Hope that helps someone.

23. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

Massive EXC_BAD_ACCESS crashes

My brand new 11.6" Mac Book Air is giving these exceptions left and right.

It started after I loaded steam to see if Civ5 would play (I know it is below minimum specs but that has never stopped me :) ) I know I didn't load any Apple updates since it last worked but I could have updated other software and just don't remember, so I am not about to blame Steam -- yet :)

Some apps run fine: Safari, Camino, VLC , TrueCrypt, 1Password, Preview, Plex all work with no problems....

iTunes loads, gives shows me my library for about 3 seconds then crashes. Pages, Numbers work until I either select a file to open or click on a blank template. Acrobat (Reader and Pro) VM Fusion, Dreamweaver CS4 and many others crash right away.

Remote Desktop Client and my Citrix web client also crash.

I've run applejack and memtest in single user mode -- there are some java VM files whose permissions are hosed and won't reset but after googling this may not be related at all. Memtest didn't report any errors (and since some apps work fine I don't think it is a memory problems).

I left my restore disk (actually a USB stick with the new Airs) at home -- I'll be back Friday and will restore the system. There is nothing in it that is a must keep -- that is all in iDisk and Dropbox so I'll probably just wipe and reload from my last good TimeCapsule backup.

I'm not posting any logs as there are so many apps that crash I doubt it would be useful (but I will if somebody thinks that will help). Mostly I'm posting in case somebody else had something similar happen and can report if and how the fixed it or that they had the problem and only a wipe and reload fixed it.

Thanks all.

24. Rozzertron, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010

Rozzertron macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I saw a guy saying Office crash logs are harder to interpret, but i have a Sibelius 6 one, and i was ust wondering if you could take a look at it?

thanks in advance :)

Sorry the File didnt attach...

Attached Files:

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nothing jumps out at me. Maybe try removing DivX, Perian, and Flip4Mac?

Everything else in the first 50 or so is related to Apple or Sibelius