*sigh* 4 months is just too long to wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverickuk, Mar 6, 2008.

1. maverickuk macrumors member

By the time the SDK is released, the new 3G iPhone is gonna be available. Other improvements too no doubt.

I really miss programs such as Agile messenger on my Nokia n95. I love the iPhone and the possibilities are endless but right now it's not very feature rich. It's not until 2.0 is released that the iPhone will come to life.

When Jobs announced the iPhone SDK release as February, it got me excited again and I figured I could cope with lack of features for a couple of months.

I have been eagerly awaiting today, for forever. The fact it's just been announced we can't take advantage of the software until June, has come as a bit of a blow. I don't see the point in waiting another 4 months with a pretty much useless iPhone. It makes more sense to give this to my brother, go back to my n95 and then buy an iPhone or the next rev iPhone in June?

I'm just feeling hugely disappointed and having a bit of a rant.

2. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

"a pretty much useless iPhone"

haha..nobody made you buy your "useless" phone.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First of all... it is 3 months, not 4. The time is to allow companies to develop and test the SDK to see if anything that was not included in the SDK may need to be ported.

TEG

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I share your pain about it taking another 4 months, the iPhone is hardly useless as it is now. If you only bought it on the promise of what it could do later, then perhaps you should have waited to buy it in the first place.

5. igglepuff macrumors regular

i kind of feel your pain, but at the same time dont. with any SDK the resulting apps arent there the same day. they take time to dev. The SDK and apps are technically useable, there just isn't an itunes store to put it up on for people(and be charged the $99 for the listing). the wait is for the app store feature in 2.0 - a means of distribution.

The framework was built into 113 supposedly.. which is likely seeing as there had been sdks going aroudn for months now to a few selected people who WOULD NOT have the 2.0 firmware, apple wont give out the firmware. that just silly. I'm sure well see apps on installer.app soon enough, though, as another means of distribution i the framework was built into 113. 2.0 is the enterprise additions and whatever else , app store, however it isnt teh framework so who knows how itll go. If my developer would ever finish putting together a fast test app we could try to sftp it ot a jailbroken phone to test out and know from there :eek:

lets hope the framework was in 113 so we can start ot use apps earlier!

EDIT: oh yea, the sdk was only a week late :p

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last fall, Steve said there would be a 3G iPhone sometime at the END of 2008. The apps will be out long before then.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I some what agree.

I mean really how close can you get, A F!!$$% EMULATOR.

WELL F$%# YOU TOO BUDDY

8. BIrwin49 macrumors member

B-I-N-G-O!

9. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I just unjailbroke and updated my iPhone because it was getting sluggish, and don't miss the apps...

So no, I don't feel your pain, haha.

10. Marcjcd macrumors member

Oh yes because when Steve gives a date or a deadline, its ALWAYS right on the mark! :)

Look, I agree that 3 or 4 months really isn't long to wait but lets NOT buy into what we were given today so easily. In October we were told SDK would be released the end of February. It actually was released to Apple "friendly" developers way before then. Then the public release would be the end of February which actually turned into a "mapped" release the first week of March. Now applications will be available the end of June, which we ALL KNOW actually means after the 4th of July holiday. It goes on and on. So for all of you buying into this "its not that long" argument... I have a counter point for you. They told you LIVE TODAY that it took these developers all of 5 days to 2 weeks to "quickly and easily" put together applications that they showed today. Are we all so naive to believe that other MORE USEFUL applications couldn't be done just as quickly as easily? What we saw today was a well dressed up PAUSE... just another way of saying we never really thought February was realistic anyway. AOL was able to have an instant messenger program written and working in 5 days but Apple cannot release it until June?

I know we all, including me, take Steve's word as the third stone of commandments coming down from the mountain but come on everyone lets drink the cool-aid so damn quickly! Apple had ZERO intention of being able to release anything today and in fact never promised or said they would... besides the development kit of coarse. What we should be more angry about is that Apple cannot or will not give users of their BETA iPhone any applications that any common cell phone can provide. That is where our anger should be directed. SMS? Multiple email deletion capability? Are you kidding me?

So for me, as much as I LOVE my iPhone my SIM card gets tossed back into my Tilt until June (or really July) when probably the 2nd Gen. iPhone will be released somewhere within the same time of the App Store.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

So for me, as much as I LOVE my iPhone my SIM card gets tossed back into my Tilt until June (or really July) when probably the 2nd Gen. iPhone will be released somewhere within the same time of the App Store.[/QUOTE]

For those without the SIM in their iPhone; the iPhone is still useful.

Sometimes I have my SIM in my other phones but I still listen to music on my iPhone and check my emails, browse the internet.

12. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

While I am perfectly happy with the iPhone the way it is.
    Anyone who says they didnt have any thought of what the iPhone could become and could do is kidding themselves.

13. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

-sigh- Apple gave us a taste of what's in store, and now people want the whole enchilada...

Why can't people just be more patient?

14. igglepuff macrumors regular

+1. apparently people thought with release of the SDK would come instant programs or something? i understand some are upset about the app store being on 2.0 only, in june, however, it woudl take that long for a decent program anyway most likely! oh well, hopefully ill get a mail soon re: the dev program so i can test thignsout on my phone!:)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Because we see a big Apple piñata going up for June, and we want to get the goodies inside it.

16. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Correction: 4. Apple always waits till the end of the month before releasing things. This is my prediction, you heard it here first!

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I stopped listening when I got to the part about the iPhone being "pretty much useless" as it is now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to return to browsing the web on the iPhone that has been sole source of internet, email, navigation, weather updates, and music on this vacation to a new city with my gf.

18. gswilder macrumors regular

Stringing us Along.....

Look how quickly the unofficial apps made it out. So it does seem kind of long now.

I think it just turned into a bigger project than Apple planned for. Of course they have to get the SDK ready, get to the developers, and then have time to develop apps. Looks like Apple could have allowed beta store and apps earlier.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"My MacBook Pro doesn't remote start my Lexus! WHAT A USELESS NOTEBOOK!"

Gotta love when people complain about stuff something never promised to do in the first place (like the Atlanta Falcons winning).

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Download the SDK and get cracking ... should be a excellent way to kill some time :p

Well at least that's what I will be doing ... haven't coded in about 3 years so things should get interesting :)

21. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Time to wait it out and plan/hope of what's to come :D

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Some thoughts...

1) So much for security and "bringing down the network" (haha!) being a reason to hold back third party apps. It sounds like they're just going to sign them as a tracer and that's it. Not sure why they'd even do that, since they control the loading in the first place.

2) Apple are total control freaks. Greedy ones. 30% and they're the sole store for apps? But good that they'll allow free apps.

3) I'm surprised, but very glad, they allowed over-the-air downloading. The worst thing about the iPhone was being tied to a host computer, which does not lend itself to mass sales around the world.

23. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

While i too feel really anxious for june, i dont think this is an outrageous request (or order)? that apple is making us wait till then. They have a lot to set up on there end, and the developers are going to need this time to get apps up and running and in good condition for then. Live with it.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, however, I bought my iPhone based on what it does now, and how it meets my needs currently. If more things come in the future, that is just icing on the cake.

The OP sounds like he only bought it for what it could do in the future that he thought would come very quickly. He is now upset that the future has been delayed a few months.