Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Ok, I agree. There are obviously plenty of instances too where more power is TRULY needed.

But my annoyance with the term "real work" still stands. There isn't any difference between work done on an iPad and work done on a laptop, desktop or even on a server. Work is work. For each person, regardless of what device they use, that work makes them a living. To say "real work" can't be done on an iPad is like saying those who make their living by working on an iPad are somehow inferior to those who use laptops or PCs.....

I think we're saying the same things so I'll leave it there. For what its worth, I can't wait until traditional Windows in the corporate setting goes the way of the dinosaur.....I hate lugging this damn Dell laptop around when I could do everything I do (and more) on my MacBook Air and even my iPad mini......which together aren't as thick or weigh as much as this stupid laptop.

Then again, that's more an indictment of my company not updating our computers - I wouldn't have as much to complain about, despite my relative hatred for Windows, if I was working on a Samsung ultrabook.

You are correct, but only in CERTAIN situations. When you say "real" work can be done on an ipad, you are envisioning something specific that can be done on an ipad. Maybe you are envisioning it connected to a BT keyboard as you do your marketing report. Or maybe you envision a doctor taking daily notes on it as he does rounds. But in many, if not most situations you do need that functionality. Whether it's mouse support (although Android has this)., or a specific legacy app, or just the difficulty of making a photoshop or CAD "app" you can see how most "real" work would not be doable on an ipad. I mean, why do you bother carrying around a Macbook Air if you can do everything on your ipad? But there are also plenty of instances where an ipad CAN do real work, certainly, they just seem to be fairly specific.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are correct, but only in CERTAIN situations. When you say "real" work can be done on an ipad, you are envisioning something specific that can be done on an ipad. Maybe you are envisioning it connected to a BT keyboard as you do your marketing report. Or maybe you envision a doctor taking daily notes on it as he does rounds. But in many, if not most situations you do need that functionality. Whether it's mouse support (although Android has this)., or a specific legacy app, or just the difficulty of making a photoshop or CAD "app" you can see how most "real" work would not be doable on an ipad. I mean, why do you bother carrying around a Macbook Air if you can do everything on your ipad? But there are also plenty of instances where an ipad CAN do real work, certainly, they just seem to be fairly specific.

Because my online courses HAVE to be done through IE on Windows....so on the one hand you are right, but if we weren't still stuck in the stoneage (IE SUCKS), I wouldn't have this issue.

Still don't know where the distinction comes from with "real work". Can you define it for me? And I'm not really envisioning any one particular task - though that bar comes to mind for me. Extra accessories being a cash register connected to the iPad and a stand to hold the iPad. The app (software, just like a PC) was all the functionality needed.

But this isn't any different than certain software being Mac only or Windows only......so we have the same types of limitations on PCs.....they've just been around longer and are more integrated (specifically). Tablets could easily replace them for most tasks (except the ones you need more power - obviously tablets aren't all powerful, just like PCs) if different apps/software were adopted.

Here's where we differ: You make the distinction at the software level - meaning the software integration companies have currently. I make the distinction at the task level. Meaning, if given equal opportunities for integration and implementation, tablets could be just as useful in many and most cases a PC is used.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Because my online courses HAVE to be done through IE on Windows....so on the one hand you are right, but if we weren't still stuck in the stoneage (IE SUCKS), I wouldn't have this issue.

Still don't know where the distinction comes from with "real work". Can you define it for me? And I'm not really envisioning any one particular task - though that bar comes to mind for me. Extra accessories being a cash register connected to the iPad and a stand to hold the iPad. The app (software, just like a PC) was all the functionality needed.

But this isn't any different than certain software being Mac only or Windows only......so we have the same types of limitations on PCs.....they've just been around longer and are more integrated (specifically). Tablets could easily replace them for most tasks (except the ones you need more power - obviously tablets aren't all powerful, just like PCs) if different apps/software were adopted.

Here's where we differ: You make the distinction at the software level - meaning the software integration companies have currently. I make the distinction at the task level. Meaning, if given equal opportunities for integration and implementation, tablets could be just as useful in many and most cases a PC is used.

I think it's just a semantics differentiation between us, but we agree in concept. "real" work can be anything really. From designing a space shuttle, to monitoring the stock market, to replying to your boss' email, whatever millions and millions of tasks we perform every day in our jobs and businesses. Now replace the desktops and laptops at every single one of those jobs and businesses with ipads and what would happen? I just use software as one example, hardware might be CPU power, graphics card, the need for a mouse input, etc.

When you say "tablets could be just as useful in many and most cases a PC is used". I only agree with "many", not "most". Once again replace every single computer in the world with an ipad...

But we are just bantering back and forth on semantics, I agree with you 100% that "real" work can definitely be done on an ipad. I just see things from a different perspective because I have a windows tablet and I can do "real" work from the perspective of a simple OS with all day battery life on a tablet, AND I can do "real" work from the perspective of having a full OS and being able to run legacy programs.

Wow, I'm really off topic lol, OK lets get back on topic, hehe.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Not every work related task needs a PC or laptop. Smartphones provide many functions that allow people to do work while away from a PC or laptop. You may not be able to do everything on smartphones, but there are still many things you can. The more things a phone can do to allow you to work while away from a PC, the more work you can do without being tied to a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.