Sigh...confused....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jan 7, 2008.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665308446

I was at the Sony Style store and an Apple Store was near it too at the mall...and I was going back and forth to each store...and spec for spec...the Vaio for price just was hard to pass...and this link shows the updated version coming out in Feb that was announced at the recent CES show.

I'm hoping for good things from Macworld...but, if Apple doesn't deliver I'm sad to say that I might have to go the...sigh...vista route because that laptop package is too hard to pass up. HDMI, blu-ray, great screen and keyboard and full set of features below 2,000...:eek:

...sigh...

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What's the confusion?

BTW, I don't see why HDMI is so exciting on a computer.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Agree.

To the OP, go with the MB or MBP. You'll be happy that you did.

4. iMan G5 macrumors member

Go with the MB/MBP. I love the mac os but the prices are high. Leopard is just awesome compared to vista.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

hdmi is a big deal in many aspects. plus the added plus of being able to hook up my laptop to a hdmi input on a 1080p lcd (hdtv or a computer monitor) is a wonderful addition.

Spec for spec...its tough to actually difficult. I love Apple...but, the specs and price and not too shabby rep that Vaios get aren't bad. I love the MBP but, not the Macbooks...they look cheap and feel cheap to me.

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I do that with my MBP with a DVI to HDMI cable.

And then I can use the same port to connect to my ACD at the office.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Most computer LCDs are made to be used with DVI, not HDMI. When you say "big deal in many aspects" - what exactly besides plugging directly into to an HD television is a big deal about HDMI? That isn't even an appropriate way to use a computer in almost any case save for watching DVDs or playing a video game from a distance.

"HD" isn't anything other than a fancy name for a specific range of resolutions used on TVs. It also is pretty much completely irrelevant in the personal computer world, where displays cover a much wider range of resolutions both higher and lower than HD 1080p, which is merely 1920×1080 in computer terms. In other words, DVI is designed for use with computers and actually supports larger resolutions, such as 2560x1600 found on Apple's 30" ACD and other manufacturer's 30" computer displays (as opposed to TVs).

I'm curious as to why that is such a big selling point for you. Don't a lot of HD TVs have DVI inputs anyway?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well, the MBP has DVI out and can support up to 2560 by 1600, which is more than HD. So you can connect via DVI and have HD.

To connect to a TV, maybe you can find a DVI to HDMI converter. Or maybe a ExpressCard/34 with HDMI output.

9. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

but, you guys are avoiding the specs compared to both machines and the price point...i know this is a mac site...and i love apple and its products....don't get me wrong....but, thats a pretty damn good deal. i want a mbp...but, i'm really concerned with my future purchasing decision...:confused:

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Two rules of thumb:

- Specs (CPU, RAM, HD) don't always tell the whole picture. There are many other factors that affect actual performance.

- Generally you get what you pay for.

There are other considerations as well. For example, with a MBP, you can run three OS'es natively (Mac OS Tiger or Leopard, Windows XP or Vista, and Unix via the Terminal). Of course with Parallels or VMWare you can run multiple OS'es only limited by available HD space -- which now is 320GB via third party options. Additionally, with Mac OS X, you are basically running in a Virus/Trojan/Worm free environment.

This brings up a good point. On my Windows images for Parallels, I don't run any protection ware. So Windows XP runs fast and smooth. And if by chance something happens, I just delete the image, and then duplicate my backup image, then rename the image and I am done. Everything is ready to go in a matter of minutes from a completely hosed system.

With Parallels, you can connect an external monitor to your MBP and run Windows XP in full screen mode on the external and the Mac OS on the MBP display. Sweet.

I could go on, but hopefully you get my point.

Get a MBP and be happy! :)

11. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Talking spec-to-spec, I don't see that many differences, aside from the video card and the monitor size, which has the same resolution as the Macbook, anyway. If you are eligible for an educational discount, the prices almost even out.

In terms of usability and capabilities, the MB is objectively superior.

I agree, however, that it is cheaply made, scratches easily and is bound to look tired within a few weeks from purchase. This is a pity because the machine is otherwise excellent.

12. Keebler macrumors 68030

spec for spec it's close to beating it, but you forgot one huge intangible spec:

you'll be working in a windows environment vs mac os x.

it's simple.

if windows is good for you, then you're set, but for me, how my apps function and the world in which i compute, is the biggest point.

point and case: wifey wants a lappie to log in to work from home. we can get a refurb windows laptop for $400. or, we can wait until next week and see what apple comes out with. we'll either buy a new one or an apple refurb. why? b/c we can boot into windoze if she needs it and quality of workmanship and the OS make it worthwhile.

you don't see many pc or windows related computers still working well, but i seem to see, hear and personally experience (powermac G4 dual 1.25) older macs working well.

just my 2.5 cents.
    Keebler

13. qsoundrich macrumors member

HDMI isn't very useful unless you want to use it as a media server. You'd be better off going the HTPC/standalone PC route where you can get some dedicated audio and video cards for that sort of thing.

I say go with a MBP. If you really want a Sony product, go for the new Walkman. Far superior to the Ipod nano.

14. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

15. Engage macrumors newbie

Get the Vaio and run leopard on it. Thats what I'm gonna do if apple doesn't put out anything competitive next week. Right now apples laptops are just mediocre -- I'm sure even the apple kids can agree. You can purchase a windows-native laptop with better hardware for much cheaper. And from the looks of it, it will probably be more reliable too.

16. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

can you run leopard on it? :confused:

17. Engage macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've heard of people doing it, which doesn't surprise me. The reason that you can run windows natively on a mac is because both operating systems are made to run on the same hardware. This is why this only became possible now that apple uses intel processors and everything that comes with. I actually used to run osx on an older pc but with emulation (before macs were intel based). But, like i said, now that they both run on the same hardware it should be just as easy to boot leopard onto a vista-native laptop as it is visa versa. I'm not sure that its as mainstream and easy as 'bootcamp' or 'parallels' but it can definitely be done.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Here it is, with instructions if you follow the link:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/27/leopard-hacked-for-intel-pc-consumption/

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Hackintoshes are aplenty these days.

And yes - spec wise - that thing beats the bag out of Apples current offerings.

Flame me away, but a laptop with 512MB VRAM, DX10, Blu-Ray Drive with writable option, HARDWARE BRD decoding, and what closely resembles an Apple click wheel on the keyboard.

Not to mention, 300GB SATA drive.

If you can make that into a Hacktosh - (which seems very possible) - why would I pay more to get less with Apple?

19. seniorstinky macrumors regular

It's not as mainstream or easy as the other two options, plus you'll be running on a system that wasn't built natively with the OS in mind. I'm not a MS hater, run a huge network with no macs whatsoever. At home, however, I prefer my iMac and MBP to my Thinkpad and HP desktop.

Lastly, you'll be running Vista. I've found it to be a horror in the business world and quite slow compared to XP.

Different strokes for different folks though. :)

20. seniorstinky macrumors regular

For those that think the hack is a great idea, go for it. For those that think that are on the fence, remember that you'll have no support whatsoever from Apple and I'm fairly certain you are violating the software agreement.

21. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm seeing a lot of success with Hackintoshes these days.

And while this is not yet available - what will $2069.99 get you with Apple in the next 30 days?

This is what $2069.99 gets you with Sony:
    VGN-FZ4000 CTO Series Notebook
    Black
    WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n w/Integrated Bluetooth®
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT 512MB
    LCD 15.4" WXGA (XBRITE-HiColor™)
    Blu-ray Disc™ Premium Drive
    300GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
    4 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 2 GBx2)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz)
    Video Standard
    Photo Standard
    Microsoft Works
    Standard Battery (BPS8)

Look - love your Apples all you want - but don't deny that we get hosed on the hardware. The VAIOs aren't built any worse than Apples. And if you don't believe me - browse the forums for 5 minutes. ;)

22. Engage macrumors newbie

Yeah keeping the same outlook.. I definitely dont want to be on windows any longer but If i can run leopard for cheaper on a better machine then why not?

Edit: check out these benchmarks -- its just as good as mbp, if not better for 800 bucks:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/benchmarks/hackintosh-vs-mac-pro-vs-macbook-pro-benchmarks-322866.php

23. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

You can't legally run Leopard on anything but a mac, though.

The reason people buy Apple computers is for hardware looks, supposed reliability and Mac OS. No one ever said Apple computers are a bargain :) (well, no one in their right mind, anyway)

24. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

don't know about you...but, the hardware looks...well, that vaio sure did look similar to the macbook pro the one i viewed at the store. egh whatever.

anyways, i love apple for the simplicity and near peace of mind it brings. but, vista has been improving...and the price for price - spec for spec...apple is gonna have to show something great for their laptop line...mbp please...in order to keep myself from buying a sony vaio. i do like toshibas...but, hd-dvd is not for me.

sony has been doing alot of things right lately...imo at least. many would argue...but, hell many doubted the success of blu-ray...and look at where sony is now with it. laptops are pretty damn good quality...one of the better keypads too...

apple has been slacking...

honestly, i was blown away by the vaio i messed with at the sony style store...and was seriously about to preorder the newer model. but, i am holding my breath and waiting with much desire to see if apple brings anything worthwhile to get my money.

25. Engage macrumors newbie

Actually its not illegal, if you purchase it. Steve wont give a damn what you run it on, as long as you buy it. As is the case with Gates im sure -- otherwise there would be no such thing as bootcamp or parallels. Or at least they wouldn't be products that are advertised on the Apple website.