Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Its for my PC which is a Quad Core (Q6600) and fine I'm running Vista64 on it so it can address lots of ram but I dont do anything really intensive on it. I already had 4 gigs which is more than I can imagine I'd need for the life of this box... but I found ram on sale an I purchased some on impulse. I saw 2GB DDR2 667 Crucial ram for $75 a piece and I went for it. I dont even know what I'd need 8GB of RAM for.

Sigh... I always do stuff like this when I see a great price. I guess I can sell my 4x 1GB pieces and get some $$ back.

Now I'm trying to justify it by thinking that I'm keeping the computer for 3 years or so and down the road, if I needed more ram, likely the price would be higher because at that point, DDR2 would not be popular anymore so good that I picked it up now. Ya its not making sense so I'll stop telling myself that. I just have to admit I have a buying problem. LOL

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
LOL! Thats probably the major reason I'm still single :)

BTW RAM is going back to the store for either a refund or credit. This was some Crucial "rendition" ram which was on sale and within the first 2 minutes of boot under some stress testing, I got my first bluescreen on my PC since I've built it in January. I had 4 Gigs of Kingston RAM so I put them back in.

No more cutting corners. I know the kingston work and I've done a memory test for 24 hours (memtest) and its passed. I dont think I'll stray to another brand. Probably QC is not so good with cheaper ram brands. I guess thats why good ram costs more $$... not just the price of the product or hardware, but the time it takes to go through quality control and make sure its all good.

Anyway so looks like I have not spent the $$ after all. LOL. Well if the store doesnt want to give a refund and only a store credit, then I'll go with the other thing that I wanted - a 640MB 8800GTS video card :D

Get married, that'll cut down on your tech purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.