Sigh - just joined OSX group

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by grungysquash, Feb 8, 2012.

1. grungysquash macrumors newbie

OK - I'm not an apple fanboy - actually dislike the ipad, iphone is OK pity about itunes, but decided 2 years ago to play with the OS (10.6.4) so installed it onto my dell mini 9 - which the wife and kids have been using goes pretty well........

And now just brought an apple air, 13 inch, 256gig SSD, 1.8 processor - for my wife who is going back to study. I hate to admit it but apple have designed an bloody nice computer, you have no idea how bad it is for me to be kicking and screaming and finally admit the air is a brilliantly designed computer. Brought this over the pro mainly due to the screen resolution and the fact is is lighter, easier for her to carry around not that the pro is really heavy.

Now when I take it home I bet the kids will start fighting over it both wanting their own - dam u apple!!!!

So just thought I would admit defeat, I guess people vote with their money and I have voted for an apple air - lets hope I didn't make a mistake!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

Why the hate? It is a tool, an appliance, helping you to get work done or kill some time. No need to spend energy on hating something small like this.

See, that's why I hate Windows, it is sooooo big. Na really, I don't care anymore, someday you will hopefully too. I just prefer one appliance over the other.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to the Dark Side! :apple:

Now you'll have to put up with simsaladimbamba!!! :D

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And thus begins the slow slide into addiction.

Thanks for being open minded enough to give Macs a try.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

the horror.....

:D

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

WAAH I wanted use the dark side one..:D

OP, welcome aboard, first an MBA, then another Apple...and before you know it you end up like the rest of us....Hopelessly addicted...:)

7. grungysquash thread starter macrumors newbie

No hate - I used the term dislike, I do dislike the ipad - can go either way on the iphone, and I do specificity find itunes to be a major nightmare.

I just can't figure out how apple can design such a brilliant computer and no one else seems to come close. I don't have any dislike for OSX have used it on my mini 9 for some time - have also used linux on the mini 9 and windows. OSX actually runs better then win 7 on the mini 9 and I do prefer it on the mini 9 which is one reason I have decided to move on the air. A brilliantly designed computer with an OS which is all respects seems OK.

Yes for me it does seem to be embracing the dark side - :apple:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In what way? While it's far from perfect, I find it to be quite useful.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

10. grungysquash thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife has an iphone 4, kids ipod touches - I prefer android so for me galaxy S2. I find with syncing itunes just a nightmare, wants to control the phone or ipod taking music off, losing stuff, changing the screen layout wife always complains whenever I update it that stuff has vanished or been added on. Takes her a few days to fix it back to how she likes it meanwhile I have a grumpy wife blaming me for itunes stuffing up the phone.

Personally I find good old drag and drop to be simple - I am the one with control, I decide what I want or don't want not some stupid program. Have now set them all to sync with the cloud so I'm hoping this fixed the issue. Only ever synced on one computer one profile on that computer, time will tell.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Gotta keep the wife happy!
    I've never tried the syncing, so I miss out on any issues that may be there. I only use iTunes on the computers, and there it works quite well. I'm one of those old fossils who use a cell phone for.... I know this is gonna sound crazy.... making phone calls! :D

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Welcome to the dark side!!!

And I'm going to echo the, thanks for the open mind part!

correct me if I'm wrong, but this has actually been at the back of my mind for a few weeks, and my experience is coming from kindle fire users.

But, it appears that when you have to do a reset on an android device you lose everything? There is no "backup" to restore too? So you lose all game progress and app data - unless the individual app backs up to the cloud.

I can't see that as a positive to not having something like iTunes where I have that backup should I want/need it. Of course my smartphone usage started with a Treo and palm has/had wayyyyy better app backup features. App and data in separate files.

Anyway, best of luck to your wife in her studies!!!! I just started back this week myself and it will be an adjustment. Of course, I'm doing online classes and had the two kids that go to school decide to pop up sick and be home so far all week.... LOL! My suggestion is to plan on cooking for her her first week or eating out. The brain goes on overload and cooking sounds like a horrid task ;)

13. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

i used an android tablet a while ago, and i recall that they have some kind of cloud back up. like icloud

14. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

"Welcome to the party, pal"

In a few months you'll have an iPad and iPhone. Trust me :)

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Welcome to the looney bin.:D

Be afraid...be very afraid.:eek:

Soon you will be in need of my services. I get so much business off this site...:rolleyes:

16. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I must agree that iTunes was a dark cloud over my iThings. I was SO happy to stop dealing with iTunes backups and switch to iCloud. I learned the hard way that if you hook an iPod Touch up to your Mac and tell iTunes not to sync apps, iTunes thinks you mean DELETE THEM ALL! I told Apple support on the phone this dumb and while I don't know (or care) if they've changed it, I'm SO happy to have iCloud instead of iTunes.

I am delighted with OS X. Our family has half a dozen mostly older Macs and we all have iPhones, iPod Touches or iPads. I love all things Apple and while I hated dealing with iTunes to manage my iThings, it has the best search capability for music. Even if I'm looking for an mp3, I'll go to iTunes first to search even if I wind up going to Amazon to buy the mp3. I have to endure Windows 7 at work and I find new annoyances almost daily. Before Steve Jobs passed, I made up a poster that said "My name is Steve Jobs and Windows Seven was my idea!" Welcome to all things Mac! I'm sure you'll be happier here!

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It started in a similar way with me too. Now there is not a single Windows machine in the house. Get ready.... :)

18. anirudh macrumors 6502

Good god! All you guys need to go an Apple De-addiction Center. Since I am willing to help out fellow forum members, I'll take all your iStuff :D

OP - WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD ;)

19. grungysquash thread starter macrumors newbie

With Android all purchases are kept on your profile like itunes, so you simply re-download them. I also use titanium backup which keeps a copy on the memory card so I can simply re-install and app I want without worrying using about excessive data.

I already feel the slow move to apple, now at 2 pod touches, 2 iphones (wifes old 3Gs and now 4) and now the laptop. Am fighting the ipad war with my wife - she's an apple fan and wants one I'm trying to point her toward the android light, I suspect I might not win.

20. weckart macrumors 68040

21. Xikum macrumors 6502

I used to try dislike Apple products because I thought they were overpriced, and a fashion accessory.

Then my girlfriend bought a MacBook Pro, and although I tried so hard to dislike it...well, I think my signature tells the rest of the story, ahem.

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

And that stores the app data too? So i wonder if the Fire issues are related to amazon not using google services? I know that they aren't recovering the data, it's wiping it and they start over when they download the apps from the cloud.

I'm honestly curious and lurk on the fire board - but I own an ipad. I tend to get people asking me about other stuff and I like to be able to help them somewhat in making an informed decision. I was thankful at youth bowling last week when the kid brought his android tablet for me to look at for the wifi (because, as an iPad owner I was supposed to know this?!) and i picked it up it had attached itself to the router. HA. I looked good at least!

Well, just look at the iPad as money saved from the app aspect since you have will have more devices to use them on. I honestly wouldn't want to be split between my phone and my tablet - no matter how hard you tried it wouldn't work. :D

23. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I used to like the drag and drop, till my wife kept insisting that she prefers the itunes playlist method. Found that actually I like itunes better, and was desperate to get something like itunes for my Samsung S2, and I found this app for android. Just syncs your itunes playlists with your android phone.

http://jrtstudio.com/

----------

Me too. As recent as Nov 24th was when I 'reluctantly' [was planning one of those new Ultrabooks, but my wife yelled at me to at least try a Mac] got my Air. Dec, I got my wife an Air, and my daughter an iMAc. Jan, I got my dad the Mac Mini.

Just love the OS, as well as the hardware.

24. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

This just shows that apple haters just haven't used apple products. They just read and assume.

25. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

To an extent, but there has to be the willingness/open mind to giving it a fair chance when they do. A "hater" that is forced probably will still hate from what I've seen.