Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
So, I've read most of the threads on the usual cracks and such, but I have some more specific questions that I hope you all can answer. I'll be calling up Apple tomorrow afternoon, but I was hoping to get some responses ASAP.

Long story short: About a two inch crack right above the IR sensor, on the palm-rest area. The same crack resulted in a "chipped" Macbook. It's extremely noticeable, as well as annoying/sharp.

I'm hoping Apple will fix this for me, as I've bought my MacBook within the past year (still in warranty)

Some questions:

1) I plan to set up an in-store appointment ASAP. How long does the repair process usually take? I use my MacBook for college, and it would be pretty inconvenient to not have a laptop for more than a day. Than again, I have no idea about how long it takes to fix it. For all I know, it could be one hour or one week...

2) Will I have any problems whatsoever getting this fixed? Will they charge me?

3) Due to the common nature of this issue, what exactly will they be doing?

Thanks guys

soul12

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
1. It should be short 'cause they'll replace the top case. The replacement would take an hour or so.
2. If it's within warranty, no problems unless the tech support assessed that the damage is not covered by warranty. More often than not, they will replace it free of charge. If they do charge you, I think it's about $200.
3. Replace the top case.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
i just got back from the apple store today because of the same issue. Mine's 2 years, 3 months old and I didn't purchase applecare. At first they said it wasn't covered because I didn't have applecare so i said "are you sure? i've been doing some research on this and it seems that a lot of people have been having this issue and most of the apple stores have been pretty helpful about it even if it wasn't warranteed" he said "lemme go check with my manager in the back..." about 2 minutes later he came back with the whole "welllllllllll....i'll go ahead and get it taken care of, no charge. But this will be a one time deal." (not much arm twisting to it!) i got a brand new top case and it looks good as new!

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies, all.

Looks like I'll be calling up the local Apple store tomorrow, with hopes of making an appointment this weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks again.

Polymira

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I'm actually shipping my out of warrenty MacBook out to AppleCare today for palmrest cracks. Just told them what's going on and that I heard it was a known issue inside of apple.

The rep had to put me on hold for 10min or so while he got authorization... Bit it turned out.

splendidham

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
I had the same exact problem and apple replaced that whole piece for free no questions asked. Including the trackpad and keys. It took a day. It was very convient. Now my computer looks and feels new again.

Same with me. I bought a second hand macbook in Akihabura and after about 3 months, I had the same thing happen. Yellow discoloration and a huge crack at the base of the palm rest. Mine was under warranty but I called up Apple anyway. They had someone pick it up. Said they couldnt promice anything and it might be two weeks before I got a responce. Anyway, 2 days later I got it back with a new keyboard and casing. I didnt pay a thing! I think you'll find that most apple staff can be quite reasonable

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So, I've read most of the threads on the usual cracks and such, but I have some more specific questions that I hope you all can answer. I'll be calling up Apple tomorrow afternoon, but I was hoping to get some responses ASAP.

Long story short: About a two inch crack right above the IR sensor, on the palm-rest area. The same crack resulted in a "chipped" Macbook. It's extremely noticeable, as well as annoying/sharp.

I'm hoping Apple will fix this for me, as I've bought my MacBook within the past year (still in warranty)

Some questions:

1) I plan to set up an in-store appointment ASAP. How long does the repair process usually take? I use my MacBook for college, and it would be pretty inconvenient to not have a laptop for more than a day. Than again, I have no idea about how long it takes to fix it. For all I know, it could be one hour or one week...

2) Will I have any problems whatsoever getting this fixed? Will they charge me?

3) Due to the common nature of this issue, what exactly will they be doing?

Thanks guys

i have that same crack sigh.. mods please merge my thread i started with this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.