Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
wow.. are people seriously that dumb?

the antenna is in a different location, therefore, you can't have the exact same issue if you're holding the phone with your left hand.

that being said, i have tried everything possible. i have squeezed my 3GS every which way possible, and I still have full bars.

econoar

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
I CAN replicate the exact same issue on my 3GS with iOS 4. I'm very close to having it downgraded to 3.1.3 right now and I'm about to try it again.

Wailord

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2007
yes..

right.. did you read what i said? the antenna is in a different location. so physically, it's not possible.

Obviously people don't mean if you hold it in the same place. There's a theory floating about that iOS4's handling of switching towers or whatever (I'm no expert) is different and leads to signal loss when it shouldn't be happening. So, if you cover the 3GS' antenna now, it'll drop more than previously. People say that they need to fix that issue and the i4 will be normally-functioning.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Obviously people don't mean if you hold it in the same place. There's a theory floating about that iOS4's handling of switching towers or whatever (I'm no expert) is different and leads to signal loss when it shouldn't be happening. So, if you cover the 3GS' antenna now, it'll drop more than previously. People say that they need to fix that issue and the i4 will be normally-functioning.

no no.. i've read people saying "if i hold my 3GS with my left hand i lose signal" which is why i've made this thread.

either way, i've held my iPhone 3GS in every which way possible (like i mentioned in my first post), i've even squeezed it, and nothings happening... i'm on Rogers though.

i also just read on Engadget:
In an interview on June 10, the Danish brainbox explained that he wasn't impressed by Steve Jobs' promises of better reception, describing external antennas as "old news," and suggested that contact with fleshlings could result in undesirable consequences to the handset's reception

so since the iPhone 4's antenna is external, our flesh is what's interfering with the reception... that explains why the bumpers fix the issue.

it's impossible to replicate this problem on the 3G/3GS (as in getting 0 signal like the iPhone 4's are getting). you may lose a bar or 2 if you cover over the antenna, but you won't lose it completely (i guess you could on AT&T ;)). but i have yet to experience this type of behavior on my 3GS, no matter what i try.

kodek

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
no no.. i've read people saying "if i hold my 3GS with my left hand i lose signal" which is why i've made this thread.

either way, i've held my iPhone 3GS in every which way possible (like i mentioned in my first post), i've even squeezed it, and nothings happening... i'm on Rogers though.

i also just read on Engadget:

so since the iPhone 4's antenna is external, our flesh is what's interfering with the reception... that explains why the bumpers fix the issue.

it's impossible to replicate this problem on the 3G/3GS (as in getting 0 signal like the iPhone 4's are getting). you may lose a bar or 2 if you cover over the antenna, but you won't lose it completely (i guess you could on AT&T ;)). but i have yet to experience this type of behavior on my 3GS, no matter what i try.

Don't tell me what is or isn't impossible. I have both an iPhone 4 and a 3GS. I'm having the same problem with both of them. The signal goes from 5 bars to 1 or even searching after holding it with my left hand. Are you going to deny that? Or are you just going to call me a liar?

Btw, the antenna on the 3GS is the chrome bezel. I don't see how it's impossible.

irich25

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Don't tell me what is or isn't impossible. I have both an iPhone 4 and a 3GS. I'm having the same problem with both of them. The signal goes from 5 bars to 1 or even searching after holding it with my left hand. Are you going to deny that? Or are you just going to call me a liar?

Btw, the antenna on the 3GS is not the chrome bezel. I don't see how it's impossible.

fixd

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

Btw, the antenna on the 3GS is the chrome bezel. I don't see how it's impossible.

i just think that you're in denial.. you want to believe that it's iOS4 and not a hardware issue :rolleyes:

thank you.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
I have the problem on my iPhone 3G at the bottom left. It is not "impossible".

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I have the problem on my iPhone 3G at the bottom left. It is not "impossible".

did you see what i quoted from engadget? let me try to simplify it.

the 4's antenna is the bezel, once in contact with our hands, it causes us to lose connection completely.

now i can understand that the 3G/S will lose signal, but not completely as you are not touching the antenna itself like you are on the 4. it's hidden under the plastic.

anyways.. can you explain how you hold it cause i'd love to replicate this issue on my phone. i just can't do it.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
did you see what i quoted from engadget? let me try to simplify it.

the 4's antenna is the bezel, once in contact with our hands, it causes us to lose connection completely.

now i can understand that the 3G/S will lose signal, but not completely as you are not touching the antenna itself like you are on the 4. it's hidden under the plastic.

anyways.. can you explain how you hold it cause i'd love to replicate this issue on my phone. i just can't do it.

It's pretty simple. I tested this in a 3G area. I gripped the iPhone 3G at the bottom left corner, buried it in the palm of my hand, and it went from 5 bars to 1, then eventually 'No Service'. I take the hand away and the bars return...
:)

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
It's pretty simple. I tested this in a 3G area. I gripped the iPhone 3G at the bottom left corner, buried it in the palm of my hand, and it went from 5 bars to 1, then eventually 'No Service'. I take the hand away and the bars return...
:)

can't do it.. lol.

maybe it's an AT&T issue ;) since we're blaming iOS4 and the iPhone's hardware, why not blame AT&T?

i can't replicate it in Canada.. maybe when i take a trip down to the states, i'll try it while roaming haha.

kodek

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
You know you're not making any friends by first stating that people are dumb for reporting an issue with an old phone, and then telling me personally that I'm in denial when I specifically checked an hour ago for the issue with my 3GS.

I understand you're not having the issue with your phone, but that doesn't mean that nobody else is. I am, and it's just as bad on the 3GS as it is on the iPhone 4. On the iPhone 4, signal drops to one bar, but it stays connected. Data connections completely drop. On the 3GS, it goes all the way down to one bar, then disconnects and goes into "Searching" more trying to find a new tower to connect to.
In both cases, I'm holding the phone tightly with my left hand, covering up the same general area.

This issue is new to me, and since the only thing that's changed in the 3GS is the OS, and the iPhone 4 runs the same OS, I can logically conclude that the issue has to be there.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
wow.. are people seriously that dumb?

the antenna is in a different location, therefore, you can't have the exact same issue if you're holding the phone with your left hand.

that being said, i have tried everything possible. i have squeezed my 3GS every which way possible, and I still have full bars.

I don't know. I can get signal drop EVERY TIME by molesting my phone and mishandling it by wrapping my hand around the lower half.

This is while the phone is held in place by a stand, so the phone never actually moves when my hand is on or off of it.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
You know you're not making any friends by first stating that people are dumb for reporting an issue with an old phone, and then telling me personally that I'm in denial when I specifically checked an hour ago for the issue with my 3GS.

I understand you're not having the issue with your phone, but that doesn't mean that nobody else is. I am, and it's just as bad on the 3GS as it is on the iPhone 4. On the iPhone 4, signal drops to one bar, but it stays connected. Data connections completely drop. On the 3GS, it goes all the way down to one bar, then disconnects and goes into "Searching" more trying to find a new tower to connect to.
In both cases, I'm holding the phone tightly with my left hand, covering up the same general area.

This issue is new to me, and since the only thing that's changed in the 3GS is the OS, and the iPhone 4 runs the same OS, I can logically conclude that the issue has to be there.

just hear me out, and read this carefully..

the reason why the iPhone 4 is losing the signal is because our flesh is physically touching the antenna.

on the 3G/S, the antenna is located under the plastic, so we aren't actually touching it. i can understand that you would lose a few bars by covering the antenna, but to lose the entire connection makes no sense. maybe you have a faulty antenna?

it's located at the bottom 1/4 of the phone, so even if you cover the left side, the radio waves would still be communicating with the towers from the right side of the phone, giving you some bars...

I don't know. I can get signal drop EVERY TIME by molesting my phone and mishandling it by wrapping my hand around the lower half.

This is while the phone is held in place by a stand, so the phone never actually moves when my hand is on or off of it.

AT&T? Canadian carrier or UK? other?

who are you with. i can't replicate this in Canada.

and i've tried what you did. is there any material that i can wrap around the bottom of my phone to stop radio waves? perhaps tin foil lol..

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I can shove my 3G running iOS4 deep in my groin, clamp my legs down really tight and it does not affect my signal no matter how I position the phone.

I can post pics if anyone is interested.

econoar

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
I have fully lost signal on a 4.0 3GS and a 3.1.3 3GS. 5 bars all the way down to no service and my data speed tests quit working.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
just hear me out, and read this carefully..

the reason why the iPhone 4 is losing the signal is because our flesh is physically touching the antenna.

on the 3G/S, the antenna is located under the plastic, so we aren't actually touching it. i can understand that you would lose a few bars by covering the antenna, but to lose the entire connection makes no sense. maybe you have a faulty antenna?

it's located at the bottom 1/4 of the phone, so even if you cover the left side, the radio waves would still be communicating with the towers from the right side of the phone, giving you some bars...
I just recorded a video showing my 3GS going from 5 bars all the way to 1 bar by gripping the left side tightly. I don't have the type of technical knowledge many people on here have so maybe you can help to explain it.

I will post shortly. Uploading to youtube now.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
I just recorded a video showing my 3GS going from 5 bars all the way to 1 bar by gripping the left side tightly. I don't have the type of technical knowledge many people on here have so maybe you can help to explain it.

I will post shortly. Uploading to youtube now.
Video is still being processed but there's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmstGtgsOCk

Sorry about the poor quality. Just recorded it on my iSight.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
cool, but how come i can't reproduce this? i've tried on a few 3G/S already...

if you want, i can record a video as well.

it must be AT&T then :D

Nothing to do with AT&T (even though you’re joking).

Are people saying this only happens for the 3GS with iOS 4? I don’t have iOS 4, but I can’t get this to happen for my 3G, even if I totally cover the phone with 2 hands.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
cool, but how come i can't reproduce this? i've tried on a few 3G/S already...

if you want, i can record a video as well.

it must be AT&T then :D
No clue man. I don't know what's going on.

Like I said, I've never had any issues from using it on a daily basis. But you saw the video, when I hold the left side tightly, the bars plummet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.