*sigh* Should I return this MacBook due to issues with the case?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Elven, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all.

My amazing MacBook is finally giving me problems :(, right.

The white case which is directly behind the tap pad has lifted off, not by a huge amount but you can notice it, and it does move when touched, the plastic screen surround is also moving about as if the glue has failed in a few spots.

The same is happening on the left side near the headphone socket.

I am not happy, as this MacBook is handed gently, and spends alot of it's time on a desk. I have AppleCare but the soonest this can be returned to my local Applestore is Wednesday, is it worth my time? it's on finance so I would need to take all relative paperwork and probably take it back in inside it's box, ( also help with appearances?)

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about your issues. Though, it will be a hassle having to coordinate a repair/exchange (I'm sure you'd much rather just enjoy your new Mac), I think it will be worth it to make sure you are happy with your purchase in the long run.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds as if the screws holding the topcase on are not tight - have you got a very small Philips 00 screwdriver and 10 minutes time to fix it yourself ?

The screen bezel does have glue along the very bottom but it also has little clips which sometimes pop out - the bezel will look like it has a buckle in it.

4. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Sadly I see no clips, as for the side plates I prefer not to mess with anything for fear of voiding any warranty.

I feel my best move would be to return it perhaps to my local store? While it does not deter from the function of the machine, it does affect the aesthetics.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

There are 10 clips situated along the bottom edge of the screen - you won't be able to see them since they are on the screen side of the bezel - just push gently along the bottom edge of the bezel - the clips are about 5mm from the bottom edge. If any are loose then you will hear them click into place.

The top case screws that are loose are all inside the battery compartment so it is not as if you are taking the machine to bits - if you take it to an Apple Store I am sure the Genius will be able to fix inside 5 minutes.....

Why would you have to take the finance paperwork with you - all you need is the MacBook and since the 2.4's have only been available for 6 months or so then you won't need any paperwork at all.

6. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Thanks that sorted the screen out, as for the lower bezel behind the touch-pad, you reckon have a genius have a look at it?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - if you are not too far from an Apple Store but much, much quicker to do it yourself (6 screws - all inside the battery compartment) - loosen half a turn, press down on the keyboard and then tighten them...

8. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Ahh right, thanks I will do that later tonight when I am finished working :)

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Ok - it is easy and quick but you must have a small Philips 00 screwdriver.

Take the battery out, open the screen and turn the MacBook so that it is resting on a table, port side down. If you look down at the battery connector block you will see 4 screws, 2 close to the battery connector and 2 further apart. Ignore the 2 close to the battery connector and loosen the other 2 by a turn or so.

Now look inside the battery compartment again and you will see 10 screws running along the long edge of the compartment, underneath the front edge of the keyboard.Count from the bottom (battery connector end) and loosen the 2nd, 4th, 7th and 9th screw. The other screws don't hold the topcase on so no point in touching them. Loosen them all by a turn or so.

Now the easy bit - start at the top screw and gently squeeze the topcase tight with the bottom-case and tighten the 9th screw. Pinch the 2 parts together with a finger each side - above and below the 9th screw. Move your hand down to the next screw and repeat for the other screws. Same technique for the other 3 screws and then do the same for the 2 screws on the short edge.

I probably took me longer to write this than it will take you to do. The topcase will sit properly and you will feel much happier.....