sigh...Speaker not working, fixes/am I under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Renfred93, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Renfred93 macrumors member

So yeah, the usual story. yesterday I was playing music through my 3G speakers one hour and then the next hour I tried and nothing happened. I researched the problem and it's somewhat frequent, so I tried the suggested fixes which included plugging headphones in and out, and it know headphones are being plugged in (the music works through the headphones) turning of the phone, calling the phone, blowing/cleaning the headphone jack and speakers and doing a hard reset, all of these didn't work...so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

however I bought this 3G way back at launch and the warranty is 6 months overdue...is there any chance to persuade apple on helping out? I've never gone to them for a fix before and I don't want them to shoot me down...also buying a new phone is not a good option seeing as I was planning on keeping this one until a new phone comes out (the A+ one...), since im eligible for upgrade so I really can't afford to get another two year contract, wow...also if anyone has another method for fixing this it would be helpful

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They won't fix your phone for free, no. The will probably offer you a $199 replacement, but if I were you I'd just hold out for summer. Another option would be to go for the replacement (which would not renew your contract) and then sell it come summer. You'll get more for it than you paid, and you'll have the use of it for 6 months.

3. Renfred93 thread starter macrumors member

oh thanks thats very helpful! I didn't know I had the option to get a refurb on that price without renewing my contract I think your option may be the best to go, and it's true I could sell it for a higher price with the demand for unlocked phones, thanks!

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

this happened to my 3gs, so before you go to the apple store try this. this fixed mine. go to settings > general > reset > reset all settings. this fixed mine and hopefully will fix urs too. good luck!

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Relevant part of first post

your options are

a) live with it until new iphone comes out
    b) use a replacement phone until new iphone comes out
    c) Pay $200 to get an out of warranty replacement iPhone

6. Renfred93 thread starter macrumors member

a a good job of outlining my options. I'd like to go with the first one, but who knows when the iphones coming, I'd like to think that they'd stick with they're reular pattern but who knows! especially with a new pad comming out their released may be delayed