*sigh* The Infamous "Safari has unexpectedly quit"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LightDemon69, Apr 21, 2008.

1. LightDemon69 macrumors member

OK, most of you have probably heard of it. Safari, at random times, just up and quits, making me lose all things I have open, and have to start from scratch. Any ideas? I'm using the iBook G4 in my sig, and Safari 1.3.2. Help?

2. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session.

I think I've had Safari unexpectedly quit once in the past year.

Edit: Oh I didn't see you had such an old version. I don't think that's in Safari 1.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Would you consider using a different browser? I use Firefox and it rarely does this.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Easy solution in Safari 3. Not to mention you might want to steer away from some sites.

Attached Files:

5. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

Can't get Safari 3, since I'm using Panther, and hate Firefox for Mac. Used to use it, but recently switched back to Safari and love it. So Firefox is a no, Safari 3 (sadly) is a no. Any ideas to why this happens? I've heard several people talk about it, and I've experienced it sometimes on my High School's iMac's (Aluminum), but I've never seen why it happens or how to fix it.

6. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

this has been happening a crap load more with 3.1.1. it pisses me off because it NEVER crashed while i was using the 3.1 beta or the 3.1 release. i guess its back to the webkit nightlies..

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Even though you say no, I still recommend FF ;)

If it crashes (which is not likely, unlike the problem you're having with Safari [reason enough to switch]), FF will reopen your last session.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You're still using OS 10.3 panther? I used to get random safari quits all the time under 10.3, but since updating to 10.5 leopard about 3 months ago I've only had safari quit on me once, but that was only because there was an unrelated problem with my Mac at the time. If you're using a very old version of Safari then there's little to nothing that can be done to help your problem.

edit: changed 10.4 to say 10.5

9. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

You mean 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard?

Under Panther, Tiger, and Leopard I average one Safari crash a year. I don't know what your peoples' problem is, but how could it be the OS or Safari if there are many of us without problems? Also, the amount of time I spend on Safari is unhealthy, so it's not a matter of I just don't use it that much.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Firstly, he said he's using panther 10.3 as I said I used to, and when I said I upgraded to 10.4 leopard it obviously was a simple typo, I meant upgrading 10.5 leopard. And regardless of whether I meant I upgraded to 10.4 and it eliminated my safari problem or if I meant upgrading to 10.5 solved the problem, it doesn't make any difference to his problem with safari under 10.3. Secondly, why are you being so rude talking about 'what we guy's problem is.' Thirdly, regarding the rest of your comment, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, what you wrote doesn't seem to make any sense, I think you need to clarify what your saying. I specifically said I haven't had any problems with safari since upgrading to the new OS, so I have no idea what in my comment you're arguing against.

11. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Wow. Someone is grouchy. Nowhere in my statement was there anything that resembles an insult, so I'm going to attribute your offense to your obvious attitude. It was obvious to me that it was a typo, and I non-insultingly asked clarification as to whether you're using 10.4 or 10.5 (there are very many mac users who are refusing to use Leopard for one reason or another). Also, don't call me rude or misquote me. That's rude. If you were capable of understanding the english language, then you'd understand my post fully (there. now i'm being rude). All I said was that I had next to zero Safari crashes in 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5, so I have no idea what your problem in 10.3 was or his problem with 10.3 is or what everyone's problems with 3.1.1 are (as Bonsai1214 pointed out so many are having). So I have no idea what in my comment you thought was an argument about your comment.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, that statement is simply ...lets say, untrue and naive.

your logic is way too generalized. no bugs are applicable all the time to everyone.

Statistics and probability arr tricky, but not bushy.