*sigh* Traded cracked white iPhone for scratched iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Aug 1, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Well my replacement iPhone 3G came in quicker than I thought and at the Genius Bar I made sure that there weren't cracks in the casing.

However after wiping the smudges off the glass screen and chrome, to my dismay, I found that there is an area of the chrome that is pretty scratched up. It was so scratched up that I thought it was initially a fingerprint smudge but it was a series of scratches about the width of a finger. It's in the top part of the chrome that is aligned with the glass so I definitely see it bright lighting but there are no scratches on the side chrome part.

I guess I'm going to live in peace with this...I'm probably going to use a case and as hard as I tried protecting my original 1st gen iPhone, it still got scratches on it over time. So I guess why delay the inevitable...

2. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

You were able to replace yours due to the scratches? What did you tell them? How long did it take to replace?

3. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't have scratches...I had cracks in the white plastic case, much like how some people have reported on their white iPhones.

I put in the request yesterday and was called by the Apple Store today.

4. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

My bad I meant cracks. How bad were the cracks? Did you get another white phone?

5. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a total of nine cracks...5 on the bottom left, 3 around the ring/vibrator switch and 1 next to the headphone.

If I didn't have those 5 cracks on the bottom left I probably would've been just fine with the others since they were barely noticeable. Now the scratches on the front chrome are even more noticeable.

And yes, I did get another white iPhone. I don't think I have much choice in the matter anyway since I got the white one from AT&T.

6. MxChino macrumors member

While i havent tried it with the new 3g, with the edge iphone neverdull did wonders on the chrome.

7. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting...did it remove scratches?

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

I noticed this small area where the screen and the chrome meets that i had a rough part, not smooth like the rest, only noticeable under light at an angle. My problem's not really a big deal especially since this iPhone is perfect except for that small detail =D

9. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

So the earliest I could make an apt. at this point with Genius Bar is at 3:10 am Sunday morning at the 5th ave. store and I'm going to see if I can get another replacement for the scratched replacement.

Has anyone gotten a scratched replacement and was successful in getting ANOTHER one?

10. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I don't think so... You can give it the Brushed Metal look and make it to where you don't even see the scratches. ;)

11. MxChino macrumors member

yes it it did. It's an abrasive metal polish that I use on chrome exhausts tips on cars. I would just be careful polishing the chrome so you don't get it on the plastic backing

12. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

This should work, i've used it on wheels before.

Just make sure you apply the polish to a soft rag, and not on the phone. Rub the polish into the rag so you can barely see it, as to not get it all over the phone and in the phones cracks... you'll be pissed.