*sigh* tried installing windows: disc error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ravich, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I used bootcamp assistant to create a partition for windows, About 18GB on my SSD boot drive.

Then I followed the instructions found on the apple website. Installed windows through the bootcamp assistant, and made sure to select the partition names bootcamp.

It installed windows normally as far as I could see, then it said the system would reboot, and then I got this:

Press any key to boot from CD.....
    Disk error
    Press any key to restart

And I get that every time I try restarting. What should I do? I should have a time machine backup on one of my internal drives. What went wrong?

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

You're not pressing a key to start from the CD, are you?

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Did you press any key?

Why don't you just remove the disk?

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I press any key, nothing happens.

No, I'm not pressing anything when I start up.

And I cant even eject the CD because it wont let me.

Edit: I just held down the eject key while starting up, and it did eject the CD and started up my Mac like normal... Mac OSX, of course. So... what likely happened here. Do I just reinstall? Delete the partition and try again?

5. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Please, what version of Windows are you installing on 18Gb?

I would try the default 32GB and see if it works.

6. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

XP. Should require about 5GB. More space isnt an option because my boot drive is small.

Why would 18GB be causing problems?

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Are you using a burnt copy of windows or a pressed disc, upgrade or full version? You need a disc with SP2 or SP3.

Looks like the disc is not good. Try a cd-rw or dvd-rw instead of a cd-r or dvd-r.

8. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what that means (SP2, SP3), but this is a real windows XP disc that I have from a PC laptop from a couple years ago. Are you suggesting I burn it to a CD-RW?

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

HALT.

If your copy of XP does not include at least (Service Pack 2) you are asking for trouble. So if you aren't sure. STOP until you ascertain that it does include SP2 or SP3.

Is also a red flag. If the disc came with the laptop there are good chances that it was customized for that laptop and may even be a "restore disc" that will not install a generic copy of Windows, but one designed to restore the laptop to factory conditions. (Not to mention the licensing issues that that license would in general not be transferable).

STOP until you know what it is that you have. Many folks who have tried using the wrong disc to install Windows have managed to erase OS X and sometimes have a hard time getting back.

If you want more help post a picture of the XP disc.

B

11. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is clearly an official disc from microsoft. It also had a system restore disc that came with the laptop and this is not it.

I have already used this XP disc to install bootcamp on my MBP.

I'll try again and see what happens.

EDIT: problem solved. XP is up and running.

12. brownbread macrumors newbie

brownbread

I'm a bit late but if anyone else has this trouble, try installing XP using an external optical drive.

Apparently this fixes the issue for many people - certainly did for me. There is a reason why it works but I can't remember. Useful I know.