Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
iOS 4.2 came out and even though it provided us with a few to choose from, most of those tones are too damn long to be a quick and short alert tone! Why can't they give us the option to use our own custom tones just like they did for ringtones.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
iOS 4.2 came out and even though it provided us with a few to choose from, most of those tones are too damn long to be a quick and short alert tone! Why can't they give us the option to use our own custom tones just like they did for ringtones.

because steve does not think you need it.

...I agree its pretty silly, that was one thing I really liked about webOS was the ease of configuring my sounds.... Since my girlfriend and I both have iphones, it was getting annoying wondering who got a text every time a phone chimed so I jailbroke mine. If apple's inability to allow you to customize your phone bothers you, I suggest you do the same.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
As I posted elsewhere, the 4.2 implementation is a BIT better than the previous implementation, but how difficult would it have been for Apple to allow true customization (without jailbreaking) by allowing us to actually make a tone WE would want to use a la my 1990's vintage Nokia?
It's crap like this that frustrates me about Apple's whole "Outer Limits" model (for those of you old enough to remember, "Do not touch the knob... WE are in complete control...").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.