Sigma 150mm Macro OS : Redesigned

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hleewell, Nov 11, 2010.

1. hleewell macrumors 6502a

150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro

Designed for use with full frame digital SLR cameras. May also be used with smaller APS-c size sensors with a corresponding effective increase in focal length to about 225mm with most cameras

Weather resistant feature protects the lens from the effects of harsh weather conditions
    This is new in Sigma lens line-up. I hope they stop using that strange fabric-like covering for their lens barrel. It picks up dust and is not water resistant at all.

Offers Sigma’s OS System (Optical Stabilization) allowing handheld photography even in low-light situation

HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus
    Focuses down to 1:1 magnification ratio at its closest working distance of 15 inches

A lens hood, tripod socket TS-21, front & rear lens caps and carrying case are included with the lens.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-apo-macro-sigma

Definitely on my buy list

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I heard about this lens a while back. I'm sure its everything the older 150 is and more with IS.......sorry "OS" When I moved to full frame I sold my Sigma 150 for a 100L. I just found I was using the 100mm focal length more and I could justify the 100L because it also makes a stellar portrait lens.

3. York-Diuck macrumors member

York-Diuck

I've used this lens after borrowing it from a friend. It is an exceptional portrait lens and the macro is excellent as well. He also had an x2 extender for it that made it a 300mm manual focus lens. Coupled with the d700, the images were very good and it balanced well on the body of the camera. I was considering selling my telephoto zoom and picking one up. The build was solid and felt like a pro lens as well.

I would recommend this lens any day.

4. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

No you didn't. It's not available anywhere yet.

5. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I bought the Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro lens a couple of years ago, and it seldom comes off my camera - to the point that there's a visible difference in coloration on the lens housing when you switch from manual to auto-focus ;)

I'd love to get this, but I'm afraid the cost will be more than a new camera body for me.