Sigma 17-70 mm any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cole Slaw, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Hi all;
    I recently bought a Canon Digital Rebel XS for my daughter. Pretty decent camera for the money (C$470). Only thing is, for that kind of money, it came with the Canon 18-55mm lens (the NON IS version).
    I'd like to get her a better lens, and was wondering what you people thought of the Sigma 17-70 mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro?
    Is that lens decent quality?
    Any opinions appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I used to own it for a Nikon - it's a great lens for the money.
    SUPERB at the wide end - a bit of chromatic aberration at 70mm though - but perfectly reasonable for most people.

Other than that the only negative is that it doesn't have a constant aperture.

For the money you can't go wrong...

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I use one on my S5. I like it. I enjoy getting close to things and pulling them into the wide angle. I have no real complaints about it, though I don't like the finish Sigma give their lenses.

4. cube macrumors G4

The Sigma finish looks pro, unlike the plasticky one of Nikon's consumer lenses.

5. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I've found the Sigma 17-70 to be a huge improvement over the 18-55 non IS kit lens that came with my Rebel XT.

6. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

It looks fine until you touch it. Yes. I would rather the two sigma lenses I have were finished like the Nikons of similar cost.

7. cube macrumors G4

8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you are more careful. I only have a sigma 17-70 and a 70-300. I have a 18-70 DX Nikkor also, and have used a bunch of other lenses, sigma, nikon, and pentax manual. There is no doubt that the sigma have the most dreadful finish. They coat them with some matte nonsense which can be made white with a bit too much abrasion, and even come off in patches. It's not a *huge problem* but it would make me pay more for a lens from another manufacturer.

9. Cole Slaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Well, thanks all for the replies.
    I will be taking a serious look at the Sigma lens.

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

Why don't you click on the sticky at the very top of the Digital Photography forum titled Links for lens and camera shoppers

Those lens review web sites tend to be very good at rating all of the aspects of lenses and will help you make a decision