Sigma lens with Canon EOS body?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hurd111, May 9, 2013.

1. Hurd111 macrumors member

Hello,

This is really more of a question about a film camera of mine- Canon EOS A2, but I'm sure you guys can help me out.

I have a this Sigma lens: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_710.html - and I want to use it on my A2 (the lens says "for canon" on the connecting end of it...?) but as far as I can tell it wont attach without an adapter of some sort. I'm assuming it's made for an older film camera. Does any adapter like that exist? :confused:

I'm not very experienced with different lenses/cameras so forgive my ignorance, but any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It's an old FD mount lens, I think you could get an adapter but to be honest getting an EF mount lens would be a better option.

3. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

On the page you linked to it says that it has an FD Canon mount. If you want to use this lens and camera body together, you will need a FD to EF adapter, which can be had for under $50. They normally come with glass in them and a chip to allow exposure sensing of the camera to work. Some retain better image quality than others, do your research on which adapter others have found to be tickety-boo and especially focus on your particular camera body and these types of adapters working well together.

I chose not to use an adapter recently on an old vivitar lens and instead had it, serviced, cleaned, chipped and an EF mount applied to it. I've ended up with a pretty good, even if slow, 400mm lens for under $350.