Sigma or Nikon zoom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Artful Dodger, May 11, 2011.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

While looking around at better quality zoom lenses for my Nikon D90 (see my list of lenses below*) I was looking at the Sigma f/2.8 - 70-200 (the newest version) http://tinyurl.com/6yfw8o4 and also at the f/2.8 - 80-200 Nikkor as both are about the same price new ($200 difference) and I can get through my local shop. I have tested the Sigma there just not the Nikon as they are getting one in this week or next.

I would also be looking at either brands teleconverter, the 2.0 is my first choice to add some distance for my shooting. I've mapped out my shooting ranges over the last year and I could also go with the Nikkor 1.7 and be just as happy.

Is it recommended that one buys a teleconverter made by the camera bodies brand or is it better to buy one that matches the lens brand?

My shooting is some nature in all types of lighting and during the winter in low lit hockey rinks where a flash would be frowned upon. The local soccer fields are very well lit around my area so I'm ok with that.

I know in the past some folks say the Sigma is a good solid choice if you can't afford the f/2.8 70-200 Nikkor, new or used and I do like the idea of the stabilization with the Sigma for those times when I need to hold the lens without the tripod or monopod.

So does anyone here have issues with the Sigma's they have used? I just want to make sure that by buying one, it will last under good care or if Sigma's tend to have more issues than the price is worth?

*I currently have and use: 16-85mm (I really like this lens), 70-300mm (thought it would be fine but I've has some shots that could have been much better).

Thanks for the help, input and replies :)

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Are you looking at the AF-S version of the Nikkor or not? If it is the AF-S version, then I'd get that and the TC-20E III- which is the only 2x TC that I'd ever recommend under any circumstances- but it's almost as good as the TC-14E II, which is saying a lot. If not, then I'd recommend the Kenko/Tamron 1.4x if you're getting the Sigma lens.

Paul

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

i used to own both (80-200 AND old sigma)..and the 70-200 VR from Nikon.
    I loved the sigma..because mine focused properly. There are issues with back and front focus with those sigmas. I have not tested the new sigma.
    The 80-200 Nikon is a VERY solid lens. it will go through a war with you and work flawlessly. It also is big..and impressive. It does not have the silent focus motor but the focus is fast enough. if you CAN, i would go for a used 80-200 AF-s version. its quieter and overall ,IMHO, better.
    Of course if you are willing to shell out that kind of cash, I would go for a nikon 70-200 VR1... besides the VR2, there is no equal..it is Nikons best zoom in that range. The 80-200 is excellent and the 70-200 is better.The stabilizer helps also.

But as I said, i had the D90 and sigma combo and i was VERY happy...

4. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'm assuming not the AF-S because both B&H & Adorama are only showing these… http://www.adorama.com/NK80200AFNU.html as is Amazon and the local shop said it's the AF version. I was leaning in the TC-20E III direction and thank you as it's nice to hear good feedback. I know pdxflint had mentioned to me that the 80-200 was built like a tank and worth the money and for the first time I had actually thought about going with another brand because of the price point and features. Of course if the lens dies after a year of average use it no longer becomes a good value.

I did read about that and the local shop mentioned that it did happen but the new units seemed to be fine so far but if anything did occur they would exchange it no questions asked. Since all my lenses focus fine (at least to me) how do you tell right away if you have a bad unit? Is it that obvious or do you have to wait and see on your computer screen the issues? Same as above about the quality, I just can't swing the Nikon this summer as my house is demanding the extra TLC & $$$ but to get something close to the Nikon would be really nice.

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

KEH has some AF-S versions stocked but they all seem to be BGN, personally I'd probably look for a used AF-S version in good condition first-- I only got the EDIF version because a shop I frequent had one at a bargain price because the focus was noisy but I've got a 400 prime and 300/4, so I don't need to TC mine.

Paul

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Test with pictures of a ruler- then search-- it's possible the Sigmas are easy to adjust going in with a screwdriver through the lens mount- at least some older ones used to be.

Paul

7. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks for the how to and info :D I stopped by the shop tonight and they are getting a gently used 70-200 (first version) in in the next day so if it is in nice shape the owner will call me up and give me first look at it so fingers crossed.

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Good luck!

Paul