Sign-in required popup?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Bbafett, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Bbafett macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen any a pop up start showing up that looks like this? Started happening today on 10.3.3 on iphone 6, and I am reluctant to put in my apple Id password b/c it looks suspicious. I have done restart and cleared all browser data in case something got through there as that is about the only app I have used on my phone today minus email.

I am signed in to Icloud already. Haven't purchased anything.

Attached Files:

2. 011 macrumors member

There is a "bug" in iOS which that allows any app to mimic such pop-up and steel your password.

You can read about phishing pop-up on

https://krausefx.com/blog/ios-priva...et-the-users-apple-id-password-just-by-asking

Basic advices are (to distinguish real fro phishing pop-up):

You can see and video

One of the advices is to click on the Home Button and if the pop-up doesn't disappear, it is legitimite, but the best thing is to go to Settings and sign in.

Just to be clear, I don't say that this is a phishing, I am only pointing to keep in mind this things when asked to input your Apple ID and password.

3. Bbafett thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that was my thought too. Going to enter a wrong apple Id password and see if it goes away as there would be no way it would know it would be wrong I would think.

Killed every app and restarted. Hopefully it goes away permanently.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's all definitely something to keep in mind. That said, there's the real thing that does also appear and would need to be dealt with too. In this case, given that it appears as a system notification on the lock screen it sounds more like the real thing vs. a faked phishing attempt as the latter wouldn't be able to generate that type of a system notification on the lock screen as I recall.

5. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

on iOS an app can't display a alert on the home screen. So that's a genuine Apple alert. And there is no known phishing malware that request the password yet.

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

If thee is more than one way to code the same way, it can be attacked.