Sign In with Your Apple ID

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

What exactly does this option mean during setup in El Capitan?

Is it saying that if I enter my AppleID then that is how I will log into my MacBook Pro?

I'm confused.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sign in with your Apple ID.
    That will set up iCloud, and some other services for you, and start out with iTunes, the App Store, and a few others with your Apple ID already entered. It also gives you the opportunity if you don't already have an AppleID, you can create one at that point.
    It is not directly related to logging in to your account, as that is a separate setup (unless you are going to do something dumb, IMHO, like use your Apple ID as your user account name. I don't think I would do that. :D

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

So what this screen is asking me is "Do you want to always be logged in to iCloud, iTunes, and so on when you log into your Mac?"

Is that correct?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

5. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You asked if it was correct. The article I linked to answers that question.

Sorry I tried to help. I will not bother you again.

7. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Anyone ever tell you that you are way too sensitive sometimes? :rolleyes:

You provided a link that goes on for pages and pages and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to read - especially since I am not upgrading El Capitan! (I am setting up a brand new rMBP.)

I skimmed the link and found this which is what I was commenting on in post #5 before you snapped at me...

https://www.lifewire.com/perform-a-clean-install-of-os-x-el-capitan-on-your-mac-2259940
    And that appears to basically be what I said in post #3, right?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...n-os-x-10-11-4s-users-groups-preference-pane/

It sounds like you have not updated El Capitan to 10.11.4 yet?

What you are describing is at the top of this article. What you can do is use your AppleID (iCloud login) as the login for the user account. Or you can choose not to use the AppleID as the login and have a separate login, but still have iCloud enabled separately in System Preferences.

This option is gone with the update to El Capitan 10.11.4. If you already had AppleID enabled as your login, 10.11.4 will leave it in place. But if you did not have it setup before, 10.11.4 will not allow you to do so.

So if you are seeing that option in the top screenshot at my link, I'm guessing you have not updated El Capitan yet.

9. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Good question. I don't know. I am asking about a screen that I took a picture of on my new 2015 rMBP during the Setup Assistant.

upload_2016-11-16_16-1-9.png

Based on the screenshot I just pasted into this response, what would you is going on?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That article I linked says the option to login with your AppleID (like in your screenshot) is still available during the Setup Assistant you get with a new Mac, so I think that is what you are seeing.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yep, part of the setup.
    You can login with your AppleID, or not. The choice is yours at that point in the setup.

Are you asking which is your best choice at that point?
    It depends on your particular use of the various AppleID services, and if you need to keep your docs, pictures, music, etc on iCloud.
    Entering your AppleID at that point will then check that your various cloud-based services are available to your new Mac, or whatever other device you may be setting up as new.
    I usually log in there, then choose to bypass the setup for the iCloud Drive (which I don't use yet), but the choice remains in your hands. No one can really tell you which way to go there, as it is a personal choice for you.
    It's not an important part of the setup for a new machine, unless using files and settings that you already have in the cloud is important for you. So, you get to decide that, too.
    More info here

12. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

What is unclear from the link you provided is if entering an AppleID just gives you the option to use that also as your username, or if it also means that every time you log into your Mac that you are automatically logged into iCloud, iTunes, the App Stores, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    No, just trying to understand what the implications were.

The Cloud scares me so I want to stay away from it.

Actually that is another related question...

If I already have an AppleID, but I chose "Don't sign in" then can I be reassured that data from my new Mac is NOT ending up stored on the Cloud? (I have heard that Macs are sneaky and can store a lot of your personal info and data in the Cloud without you knowing it!)

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't believe that will log you in to iCloud, but I have not tested it. Even if it did, you can just go to iCloud Prefs and turn it off. The idea here is you can use your iCloud account and password to login so you only have to remember one password.

If iCloud is off, nothing is stored in the the "cloud". There is some diagnostic information that is shared with Apple, and you can control that from System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage.

14. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

So by creating an AppleID, that automatically gives me an iCloud account?

Either way, how can I check to see if I have an iCloud account? (I do NOT want one!)

And if an iCloud account was unknowingly created for me, then how can I check to see if it is turned on?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

No. You can have an AppleID that is not associated with iCloud. For example, I have an AppleID I use for iTunes and the App Store that is different than my iCloud account.

You can use the form above to see if you have an AppleID.

Even if you do have an iCloud account, if you do not turn in on on any of your devices, it does nothing.