Sign me up for MP audio weirdness too

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mlankton, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mlankton macrumors newbie

mlankton

Just noticed this the other day. Sound works as normal via line out, but all of my system sound effects disappear. Check system preferences, everything set to line out, but no os sounds. Movies and music, games, all yes, but os audio cues gone. Reboot solves problem.

Did anyone ever find the answer to this issue? I hate to think I have a new MP with a faulty logic board. I can't afford to wait for a replacement, but I don't really want to live with something that drives me crazy like this does. This computer is only three weeks old. Anyone?

2008 2.8 octo

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

By system sounds, do you mean volume controls? I experienced that problem once using headphones via the front audio jack. The rear worked fine and the Optical on my speakers worked fine.

It went on until I did a reformat for an unrelated issue. Haven't experienced the issue since.

3. mlankton thread starter macrumors newbie

mlankton

No, all audio except for system sounds continues to work. Just system sounds disappear, and upon reboot everything is fine again.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

By any chance do you have either Parallels or VM Ware running in the back ground?

5. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i had this same issue on my MBP unibody last week. screen shot and empty trash is what clued me in that system sounds were not working. a reboot did bring them back.

sleep does not work either. i put it to sleep at night and close the lid with 100% battery life and in the AM i have 10% battery life left. this is a MBP produced in early 2009. the sleep issue is really annoying. even if i hit sleep it continues to drain battery juice like mad. i figure it is just a matter of time that my system sounds stop working again.

6. mlankton thread starter macrumors newbie

mlankton

No

7. mlankton thread starter macrumors newbie

mlankton

bump

The machine doesn't have any sleep issues. It isn't necessarily a sleep related issue, because last week after rebooting the audio worked fine for 2-3 days. I just came back from 3 days away from home working, and same issue.

Again, had audio, just no system audio, and a reboot put things back in order. Anyone?