Sign of the (NY) Times

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Jan 5, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Today's print edition of the NY Times had, gasp, an ad splashed across the bottom. I did a triple take as I walked past the newsstand. Times is tough.

[​IMG]

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Papers are really struggling to make money from printing, and they just haven't figured a way to make any money online. It's no surprise that it's a TV company buying the ad. Money still isn't pouring in on TV but its pulse is much stronger than print.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's sad. The newspaper industry is dying. I read the Times every day for years and years. Now I only buy the Sunday paper. I still read Newsday most days of the week. My morning constitutional just isn't the same without a paper.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Don't tell me you've swapped digital media for your paper?

begs the question, what do you entertain yourself with while performing your daily constitutional??

*note to self, don't buy a used computer from rdowns*:p

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Get a National Geographic subscription. See the world from your commode.:D

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Or read a couple of sections a day making the Sunday expenditure worthwhile.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

print newspapers just don't have the power they once did. they really need to figure out the online game or perhaps even other methods of distribution to stay on top methinks... there are plenty of things they could try that would possibly work.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Almost all already have an online edition. I know I read a bunch via web. I get a real local paper-paper daily and always get a paper Times & USA Today when I travel.

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I said I read Newsday on most days. How many rum and Diet Cokes have you had. ;)

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

ummm...

three.

:eek:

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well yeah, they all have websites, but obviously that hasn't been working there are other ideas they could've run with or tried too. imo.

13. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

iPod Touches are awesome! :eek:

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Once the printed newspapers die, these media outlets company die, and there is no more online media to keep alive as these sites don't make any money online to pay real journalists to get the story.

I don't know how the newspapers can do it, but every country needs print media, and reporters chasing up stories. Without it, society is in trouble.

15. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. Newspapers dying would be a very bad thing. Perhaps local newspapers can team up with local TV news operations and share resources thereby reducing overhead.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the only sites that make money are the ones who only collect the news from different sources. Google does this with their Google homepage, and iGoogle. I get all my news through them, and seeing as how Google gets the ad revenue without having to actually hire journalists to do the actual job of collecting info, being at the scene, etc.

See, I realize that lots of people and websites (e.g. Techdirt) argue in favour of Google and their right to do what they do as a search engine (summarizing the news is just a different way to gather the information....just without the searching), and further justify it all by saying Google enhances readership since people who don't normally read a newspaper from New Mexico (for example), but in reality, it only enhances Google's ability to make money from nothing, while at the same time, running all these smaller businesses into the ground by not sharing any revenue.

I'm sorry to say this, but the same applies to MacRumours. They are only reporting the news that others are reporting, and yet MR is probably worth more than all (or the large majority) of their news sources.

It just doesn't pay to be the source, the original, etc.

17. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The aggregators are what's going to kill newspapers. They need a way to force the search engins to pay them to display their content.

mt

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I work for the Rocky Mountain News here in Denver and have since 1982. It has been the only job that I have held since graduating high school. Early December, we were all told that the newspaper was going up for sale. If the paper did not sell by the end of the year, it may consider shutting down.

Someone did step up during December but that it would take several months to even get anything done. Our future is still in the air. Sad sad times.