Sign the petition to fix the weak hinges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Feb 4, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

There is a petition in the link I provided to fix the hinges in the macbook pro. Please sign it! When I first bought my mac, it wasn't a problem. After a month, it now seems to be a bigger problem.

http://www.fixthehinge.com/

2. wuwwla macrumors newbie

I think this is petition is utterly ridiculous. If you are in the mood to bitch, do consider finding a real problem in your life.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The problem has been fixed, and if you got a computer before it was fixed the Mac Geniuses in any Apple store will fix it for you very promptly without question and without warranty even. This is just moaning because you can't be bothered to leave the house to fix your issue.

4. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I didn't know anything had changed on the hinge front. I got my 15" the day they came out in the store.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Woah there....

I didn't make the petition, I just saw it and thought maybe people could sign it to get Apple to do something...I didn't know that Apple will fix this for free now. Do I just go into an Apple store and they'll fix it? How long does it take usually?

And thanks for telling me that Apple will fix it :)

6. lazydesi macrumors 6502

i will support this petition

if we are paying a premium price, we have a right to ask for better quality

7. DYER macrumors 6502

is this acutaly classed as a problem??????? ie are the new ones equipped with a much stronger hinge?

8. Xephrey macrumors newbie

It falls like it shown in the video probably because of the additional weight from the glass in the new unibody displays (as is said in one of the youtube replies). But it also stays in places with less play than previous generation. I'd say that's an improvement. I don't think I'd use my Macbook Pro while holding it perpendicular to the ground.

They would actually do something about it at a genius bar if I took mine there? I'm just curious, cause mine does that. :p

9. mstout macrumors member

Just got my mbp. hinge is fine. I signed the petition, and if my hinge gets weak, they're gonna fix it or give me a new computer. that's what my applecare is for. I hope for their sake it doesn't go bad on me. Gonna cost them a lot in new computers. Good luck mate.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes they tighten the hinge screws either side of the screen, takes less than 1 minuet and is free.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Oh yeah, this is such an issue for me when I'm operating my MBP at a 90 degree angle. Happens all the time...geez.

Not. I like the loose hinge....it makes opening it much easier.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Could I do it myself?

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

What? Tightness adjustment has never been in the Apple laptop hinge designs. Where exactly is this? Have you seen this done. Sorry, I call B.S. on this.

And to everyone else, it's not a weak hinge and it's not because of the glass weight. It's designed this way. The lid adjusts with lesser effort just like the 17" one always have. Yes. that means if you lie on your back and hold the MBP with end up it will close. It's not a defect, it's a design choice.

14. Skemo macrumors newbie

Skemo

Uh no.

So basically if you use your computer when you are in bed, or laying on a couch, Apple basically said screw you? Try putting the new MBP on your lap with your knees up, the screen will NOT stay up. I'm sorry but I paid a whole bunch of money for this and the screen hinge on my 13" Macbook (which is almost 3 years old now) is STILL light years stronger than the one on my late-08 Macbook Pro. Simply unacceptable.

15. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Everybody spends a lot of money on every computer. The hinge on your Macbook is not light-years stronger, because a light-year is a measure of distance, has nothing to do with advancement or strength. You may want to say that your Macbook's hinge is stronger than the hinge on your Late 2008 Macbook Pro.

If it is unacceptable, take it back. The hinge on my MBP closes when I have my laptop at 90 degrees, it does that because of the way the hinge was designed.

16. Skemo macrumors newbie

Skemo

There isn't any point of taking it back because, first of all, Apple hasn't identified it as a defect, which is absurd, so they won't replace it. Secondly it is equally absurd that you defend Apple simply because you love their products than acknowledging an obvious design flaw.

I love my MBP, but the idea that I can't use it in the fashion I used my previous Macbook points not to a hinge "by-design" but rather a design flaw that didn't compensate for the heavier screen.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Except you are using it in a manner that Apple does not recommend:
    MacBook: Care, Use, and Safety Information

So, not exactly a "design feature".

18. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I do not believe that I was being a fanboy, there are a lot of things I do not agree with that apple does. However, the purpose was to point out the fact that if you do not like what you have, you have the opportunity to return said items. There is no reason to keep what you do not like.

19. FinalCutJay macrumors member

Design flaw? Naw.
    Poor design? Yes.

i find the hinge on the unibody completely irritating. Any minor bouncing sends it out of position. So basically actually using it on your lap in your bed or in a car calls for constant readjustment.

If it is possible to get a fix on this sign me up.

20. CrownSeven macrumors member

Doesn't say you can't use it on your lap. Geez.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You can use it on your lap just fine. But you can't use it with the backend up more than 45 degrees.

Well I didn't design it so it's not for me to say what the thinking was. For me this isn't an issue, I would never use it this way. I do use it in my lap with my legs crossed and at that angle it's perfectly solid. For someone else this may be different. I'm simply pointing that there is no way to change the hinge tightness that I know of (despite what some claim here) and that it's part of the design. So I wouldn't hold my breath about it changing anytime soon.

22. DYER macrumors 6502

I think i will go to my local store next week and just see what they do when i start complaining.. it has actually been pissing me off when i take lectures in uni the screen keeps on faling down if i hae the mbp in wierd positions.... maybe they will actually fix it...