Signal and wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Smawds, May 24, 2011.

1. Smawds macrumors newbie

Help please - so here's the story around Christmas when we had the icy weather I fell down some steps (I wasn't drunk honest) and cracked the screen of my 3GS when this happened the silent/normal switch went a bit faulty not switching properly and the sleep button would only work if you held the top right of the screen in but everything else worked fine but in the last couple of weeks the wifi will only pick up the network when I'm in the same room as the router I used to be able to pick it up about 3 houses down the road but more annoying is the signal the phone gets is crap I keep getting no signal or searching all the time I'll pickup my network then without moving I will lose it again it can be like this for hours without a signal as if the ariel is not working properly for both the phone and wifi any help will be much appreciated*

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can bring it to Apple and have it replaced for $200.
    Its obviously hardware damage that's causing all these issues.
    Did you get the screen fixed or is it still like that?

3. Smawds thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No the screen is still broke but it's only a couple of cracks across the screen it's not like it's smashed to bits or anything plus I'm in the Uk can I still return it here do you know

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they will replace it for a fee.
    Contact or go to your nearest Apple store.

5. Smawds thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok thanks, thinking about it the phone is about 10 months old so will I still be covered by a manufactures guarantee

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No you wont.
    The manufacturers warrante doesnt cover accidental user damage. Just manufacturers defects.
    And obviously by looking at it they will be able to tell that you beat it up pretty bad.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed, the warranty doesnt cover icy falls, sober or not

8. Smawds thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I fix the screen first as that will only cost me £50

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think to replace the screen you have to tamper with the warranty seal

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can give it a shot but you might mess it up even more if you're not really good at taking electronics apart and putting them back in.