signal booster

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Beanstine32, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Beanstine32 macrumors newbie

2. dthree36 macrumors regular

Ugh... No. Infomercial crap and been around for a long time.

3. Beanstine32 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there something like that that will boost service?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're having reception issues perhaps you should look into a microcell. AT&T has one, your carrier probably does too.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Some of the networks here in the uk used to provide a signal booster for your home. Im not sure if that is still correct tho.

Best advice is to check out all the networks for signal where you reside and work in order to get the best coverage.

Problem is some people look at the the list of needs in the wrong order.

ie : many look at the phone first and then the deals instead of looking at best coverage !

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. If you want an amp or repeater then you need to go with something like what Wilson offers. Expect to pay $300USD+. A snake oil sticker isn't going to do anything for reception.

^ This. Coverage where you need it should always be everyone's top concern when selecting a carrier.

7. Xtrucase macrumors member

Xtrucase

Agreed! Coverage comes first... otherwise you render the device useless or not maximizing the benefits of 3G/4G and Voice.

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

If you are with Sprint I know they offer essentially a mini tower (think its called an "airrave"

9. cbronfman macrumors 6502

In a parking garage?

I'd like something so if an emergency happened and I was in a parking garage where there is not cell signal - something that could boost the signal enough so I could call for help. I've looked under EMS etc, but those all require installation in a building and nothing portable that I've found fits the need.

10. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Any real signal booster requires at least some sort of signal to boost. The cannot boost a no signal area into having reception, especially like a parking garage with a several feet of concrete and rebar. If you are that concerned about a dark parking garage, you need to carry a weapon and know how to use it.

11. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I had a power wheelchair shut down and become inoperable - no one knew I was there and I had no way of summoning help. OK, someone could trip getting out of a car, have a stroke, vertigo - it's not just those of us who are mobility challenged. (it's a practical issue that potentially concerns everyone/anyone.)

12. daemonite macrumors member

there is nothing portable that can boost reception for the iphone when signal is weak unless you have something to boost the existing signal (signal repeater) or generate it's own signal (femto cell)

best bet is a femto cell which is basically a small cellular base station that is internet connected via your broadband internet (AT&T calls theirs the microcell). My house sucks for reception but now I have 5 bars everywhere in the house.

If you're traveling though, you are at the whim of the network towers around you.