Signal Disappears Upon Entering Room

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by V LordofWar V, Jul 31, 2009.

1. V LordofWar V macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased an iphone and brought it back to Montana where i live. All was going well, i had five bars throughout my home, and i was loving Apple's creation. But after spending some time sitting in our computer room, however, the five bars i have everywhere else soon dwindles to three...then two and prevents me from sending and receiving text messages. Any idea what could cause this? My only idea is interference from the electronics in the room which include: a television, two computers, speakers, phones, wireless controllers, etc. I unplugged the Verizon Network Extender which is in the hall, but there was no change in my At&T service. I have an iphone 3GS, the AT&T partner here in Missoula is Chinook (or CellularOne, idk if there is a difference anymore)

I done a small amount of research regarding the At&T network extender (not sure if it is now available or if it has the GPS which may not allow it to work here)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated for i spend much of my time in this room.

cheers

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have you fully updated your phone/tried doing a restore? Maybe that will help with the signal problems.

3. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

Is fully updated, would rather explore other options before trying a restore.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you turn off everything in that room, do you still have a problem? If not, you might try turning on one thing at a time to isolate what it is, if anything.

5. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

Great idea, thanks

EDIT: Tried it, no improvement in signal strength

6. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

Did a field test, signal is around -99 inside room but -83 outside...ugh

7. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

I agree that a restore might be a little hasty, but you could try a soft or a hard reset. Couldn't hurt and some believe daily soft resets can be beneficial for your phone.

Otherwise, it's probably AT&T's poor coverage in your area.

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, you've determined it's the room itself and not the electronics. What is different about this room compared to the rest of the house?

10. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

this or bad service, or maybe you're mean to you're phone

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

12. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

Done several soft resets, is there any way to update recognized towers? There was on my Verizon Black berry and there is a new tower in sight of where i live which i know isnt verizon.

haha maybe i should check.....

nothing is really different aside from the electronics. Room is on the 2nd floor, and has several windows.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, it has nothing to do with the towers, if it works in other rooms. Also, I thought you turned everything off, so it has nothing to do with electronics. You could try a DFU restore for the hell of it, but I doubt that's going to do anything, since it works everywhere else. Have you had this issue anywhere else?

14. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the possibility of the electronics interfering has been eliminated. Since no other room has such a concentration of electronics thats what i thought the problem was.

DFU restore? im guessing thats just a complete restore by using itunes?

I have perfect edge service everywhere else lol which shocked me considering it is Montana

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't recommend doing a DFU though, since you don't have the issue anywhere else. Pretty puzzling. I would think you'd have the issue somewhere else, for sure. Or that there's something about this room (ghosts perhaps :) ).

However, here's a link to do it, if you want to try:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

16. V LordofWar V thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well thank you for your heldp I appreciate it