Signal drop when making calls (with case on)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jul 24, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Hey guys,

It seems like the signal drops when I make calls and hold the phone to my ear even with a PixelSkin on which otherwise causes the phone to not have the deathgrip issue and get excellent reception. I wonder if it's just because I'm indoors that it drops a little bit.

But does this happen to anyone else?

Not talking about deathgrip here, I know what that it is. But with a case on and while having the phone up to your ear in a barely full coverage area (with signal that fluctuates every once in a while)?

Thanks.

2. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

Get a bag phone

Seriously, I have never seen people more enthralled with the reception characteristics of cellular radios. You have the phone sandwiched between your head and your hand so it might lose a little signal and it will drop a call every now and then. If it had a powerful enough radio to avoid this, it would give you a brain tumor more than likely. I have avoided saying this up to this point but: "if the phone isnt working the way you need it to, just return it."
    If its actually dropping the calls when you hold it to your head when you normally get good signal there, then definitely return it. If your just being ocd about checking the signal strength display every few seconds when youre on a call, just make yourself stop looking at it.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've had exactly one dropped call with my iP4, and it was while wearing the Griffin Reveal case. I was using the headphones and was sorta pacing the room while talking. I stopped in front of a window to watch a storm coming in and didn't realize it but had crossed my arms so that the iPhone was actually held under my crossed arms, sort of nestled close my armpit. I was in a 3-bar area at the time. That was enough attenuation, even through the case, to smother it I guess. I'm sure I could get something similar if I sat on the thing.

But I really don't think the case mattered much. This is what Apple has been demonstrating with their own phones and those of many others.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

A case makes a huge difference for the death grip but nothing can stop normal attenuation caused by us walking sacks of water.