Signal dropping intermittently even after uninstalling blacksnow

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Okazar, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Okazar macrumors newbie

Heres my story. I purchased an iphone over kijiji locked to rogers and jailbroken to 3.1.2. During my days of owning it i found that the signal would drop randomly to 0 bars and proceed to "searching" to look for a network.. Ive looked this issue up plentiful over these forums and found that blacksnow seemed to be the culprit. After going through cydia i found that blacksnow was installed so i uninstalled it. I thought the problem was solved but a couple of minutes later after using apps that use 3g the connection dropped again.

I dont know how this phone was jailbroken. its the 3gs with the old bootrom. ive never had this issue with my 3g phone. I restored again using redsnow and still same problems.

What do you suggest i do? believe me it has nothing to do with the network.

2. Okazar thread starter macrumors newbie

should i upgrade my firmware to 3.1.3? if so how would i go about? itunes has blocked verification to the firmware... im not iphonesavvy on the whole jailbreaking scene yet.

3. Okazar thread starter macrumors newbie

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Try reseting your network settings.

Settings<General<Reset<Resetnetwork settings

5. Okazar thread starter macrumors newbie

did that a while back, no luck

another side question.

my carrier is rogers and my phone is locked to it. I dont care about unlocking the phone. so if i were to install another fw do i use the activated form?

6. Okazar thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that again, now i dont have any bars. so i turned airplane mode off and on and got the prompt of invalid sim card... now im beginning to think that the ass hole who sold me the phone, sold it locked to another carrier.

i remember seeing an "invalid carrier" prompt notifying that the phones locked.
    :(

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Is this a 3GS? Whats your Modem firmware? Do you need this iPhone to be unlocked? What firmware are you on?

8. Okazar thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 16gb 3GS With the old bootrom
    Version: 3.1.2(7D11)
    model: MC147C
    Modem: 05.11.07

theres also a tab that says

Carrier: Rogers 5.0

So i assume the phone is locked to Rogers, which is fine in this case. I dont need the phone unlocked

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Im guessing: restore to apples 3.1.2 and then jailbreak using Blackra1n again.