Signal going off and on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by randyc, Sep 6, 2009.

1. randyc macrumors member

So I just got a replacement phone from apple 2 days ago because my WiFi stopped working. Now I have a different problem. In my house I usually get full bars on 3G but now with my new phone my signal just shuts down randomly and then connects back with full bars a few moments later. I don't know how to explain it well but I'll attach some screen shots to explain for me. Just notice the time and the signal strength.

I'm using a 3G on 3.0.1 and I've tried restoring and everything I can think of. Anyone seen this before or know how to fix it? :(

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. UCLAkers macrumors member

yea it's weird... I've been having the same problem as of late as well. but just at home. up until about 2 weeks ago, I've always had near perfect 3G reception and now it just randomly cuts in and out.. much like yous, from full reception to no bars at all.

I called AT&T and they obviously didn't know anything and was then transferred over to apple support only to find out they were closed for the holiday.

can anyone help? anything I can do to fix this immediately w/o having to take it into the apple store??

3. randyc thread starter macrumors member

I have a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple store tomorrow. I'll post back and let you know what happens. :rolleyes:

4. UCLAkers macrumors member

sweet, that sounds good. the sooner you report back the better :). I'm guessing I'll probably have to make a genius bar appt for the next day.

5. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Just got back from apple and they gave me a replacement phone. Apparently I had a faulty cell network reception chip. Might as well schedule yourself a appointment. Good luck.

6. UCLAkers macrumors member

thanks for the reply back!

yea, that's what I was afraid of. made my appt for thurs. I don't mind taking it in at all, but if I end up getting it replaced, I'm gonna have to reapply the back protective film and power support film on the front again :(. any idea if my problem would also be a faulty cell network reception chip even tho my 3G's only been cutting in and out at home?

7. randyc thread starter macrumors member

Ummmm I think its a possibility. The employee that looked at my phone said that my case was a VERY extreme one -- the problem occurred on my phone almost 700 times in the last 2 days :eek: lol. So maybe yours is just a mild case of it? One thing I noticed when I would lose reception my phone would kind of freeze for a few moments too. If thats happening to you then I'm almost certain its a faulty chip.

8. churchrd macrumors member

I've just began experiencing this problem as well. Just yesterday. Usually have full 3G bars at home. But yesterday it went out. It came back on last night right before i fell asleep. But now when i woke up it's back to no service unless i turn the 3G off in the network settings. Then i get full Edge support. It's pissing me off, i don't want to have to take it in.
    Im in Minneapolis btw, with a 3G.

9. randyc thread starter macrumors member