Signal issues white iPhone (Verizon)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zaccor, Apr 28, 2011.

1. zaccor macrumors member

Just bought a white iPhone 4 at the Verizon store. I have noticed it has 1 or 2 bars lower than my son's black iPhone which is also Verizon. Anyone noticed any issues if they got the white one today?

Not sure if it's just that I got a bad one or if it's something else.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

If they are both on the same OS version, then it's likely a bad one. The only difference between the two iPhones should be the front and back panels.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

There's more to the story than that.

Verizon has multiple carriers for both EVDO and CDMA1X. It's likely that the two phones are landing on different carriers.

While it's rare, it could be that the carrier where the black iPhone landed is having some difficulty of some sort.

Note, I'm not saying the white one _isn't_ bad, just pointing out that there are other plausible explanations for the difference.

4. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Then that could probably be eliminated as a cause by updating the PRL on both phones. Ideally, if you can get identical setups on each device, you should see similar performance. Also, testing in a variety of areas should even out the testing results as well.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Incorrect.

The carrier (RF carrier, not the operator) will be determined by a hash function of the EID. It's nothing you can change. You can't change your EID [MEID, ex-ESN) nor can you influence the hashing algorithm, that's entirely on the network side.

I do agree that if you test in a large enough areas the difference _should_ iron out, if they don't then suspicion turns to the phone.