Signal problems - not antennagate!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vbman213, Aug 4, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Normally I had about 4 bars of 3G at my work. Today I installed a candyshell and now I'm only getting 1 or 2 bars of 3G at my work... Uh oh! Did something in my phone break?

If I take my case off and leave the phone naked I still don't get my normal 3 or 4 bars... Is my antenna broken?

2. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried rebooting, hard reboot, resetting network settings and nothing is working...... I really hope my phone is not screwed up...

3. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

Were you running 4.0 before and now 4.0.1? That might be why.

4. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, my device shipped with 4.0.1

I checked the coverage map and I am in deep orange (very high)

But I only get 1 or 2 bars at most....

5. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

Do you only notice this drop in signal at your work? Or is it everywhere?

6. firewood macrumors 604

In the U.S.? Sometimes AT&T turns a cell tower off for maintenance. The next farther cell tower would give you a weaker signal. You might be able to call them up and ask about nearby cell tower status.

7. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've always had crappy AT&T service at my home. Even though the coverage map clearly shows that my house is in "Excellent Coverage". I remember having AT&T/Cingular phones many years ago that had 1 bar of service at my home. So I know that AT&T is weak at my house... I switched to Verizon, and I'm now back on AT&T.

I remember having to go outside to use AT&T at my house. about 2 years ago. So nothing has changed lol

So as I drove home, and I am now in between home and work, I noticed that my phone did gain some bars. Peaked at 4 before I hit my weak neighborhood.

I don't know what was going on. What should I do?

I think part of the problem is that I worry. "OMG I don't have 4 bars, my phone must be defective!"

I know it could be a hundred other things that are unrelated to my phone that could be affecting the signal strength...

I really am a bad Apple customer. I spend WAY too much time worrying that my devices are malfunctioning than I do actually enjoying them. Is there a cure for this?

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If your calls aren't getting dropped and you notice no other issues (slowdown of data, etc.) then I wouldn't worry. If you do notice the above issues for an extended period of time, then I'd take it to an Apple store to get it looked at/replaced.

9. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple store is 2 hours away lol

Another question, does Apple reserve some iPhones for replacements? If I do end up calling Apple about this, I can't be without a phone for 3 weeks...

The only time I "dropped" a call was when I was talking to AT&T about this problem. I got a call back saying that they were sorry my call was dropped during the transfer. So I assume it was a problem on their system.

10. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I have a similar issue. With my 3GS upgraded to 4.01 (jaibroken), I typically always had 4 to 5 bars. I just upgraded to Iphone 4 with 4.01 and I rarely if ever hit 5 bars, mostly it's 1 to 3 (and my phone is protected with a case).

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I don't know about replacements over the phone. I went to the Genius Bar with a problem (rattling lock button) and the phone was replaced with no questions asked. They gave me a phone on the spot and even activated it for me so I would not be without a phone on the way home (and I only live about 15-20 minutes away).

I would just monitor the situation for a week or two. If you feel as though the quality of your calls or anything else is lowered in correlation with the lower bars, then you should try to get a replacement. If nothing seems wrong aside from the lower bars, then I would just ignore it.

I too am fixated on my bars (I have the death grip issue). I got a case and even though I get 1-2 bars a lot, I haven't experienced any loss in call quality, dropped calls or anything else (knock wood). So I basically ignore the bars unless it drops to zero.