Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Web Ace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I've managed to replace my signal strength bars by a negative number. However, I don't know how to get back to the signal strength bars.

After reading an article, "Bugs & Fixes: iPhone 3GS signal strength oddities" in MacWorld I went into Field Test mode on my iPhone. Here is what I did:

WARNING: Once you replace your signal strength bars you may not be able to get them back. The "more accurate numerical indicator" is much more accurate but not quite as easy to see. You've been warned.

Quoting from the article by Ted Landau of Macworld:
"Finally, at least for AT&T phones, you can get a more accurate numerical indicator of the iPhone’s current signal strength by manually dialing *3001#12345#* followed by a tap of the Call button."

I did this from an original 8G iPhone. However when I got my new 3GS 32G iPhone and restored from my Mac the new "more accurate numerical indicator" feature loaded along with my data.:eek:

If anyone knows how to restore the signal strength bars I would like to know how to do this.

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
if its jailbroken you can probably disable it with sbsettings. its called numerical gsm.
if you tap it does it go back to the graphical signal strength icon..?

i dont have a 3gs so this is just based on using a 3g

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Did you restart the phone? Because I use that command every so often, and as soon as I press the home button, it goes back to normal. I didn't even know it was in the backup.

Another thought: maybe try doing it again and then exiting from it the normal way. Maybe that will get it back to normal. :confused:

Web Ace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
How to get back to the signal strength bars revealed.

iIt's called numerical gsm.
if you tap it does it go back to the graphical signal strength icon..?

i dont have a 3gs so this is just based on using a 3g

YES! I tapped the numerical gsm and it went back to the signal strength bars.

Thank you for the fix.
:D

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
strange

strange, usually just hitting the home button times it out for me, JB or 3gs no JB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.