Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Is the ability to create larger signatures (at least code-wise) something you can gain with post count? I wanted to add an MRoogle link in my sig but have a quote of my own and what you see below is AT THE 300 character limit. I can understand the 150 character display limit, but the 300 character limit (including code) seems a little restrictive IMO. Thanks. - Eric

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
What in the hell do you want to do that'll go over the limit?

I think it's reasonable. :p

Just because it's reasonable for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

And maybe it is reasonable but I still sometimes have trouble fitting in a mere sentence of text because I use the coloured MRoogle link. Hence, I occasionally find it a bit frustrating and I don't entirely understand why BB code is included in the limit.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Maybe some macros could be defined for useful/common/approved stuff like the Mroogle link. So instead of the mess of UBB you could just put [MROOGLE]?

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
[said without any bias at all]

lol

The code limit is what I hit most often before I hit the character limit.

Links with long URLs are the hardest to fit. But things like tinyurl.com help with that but the code limit is the most troublesome still.

The MRoogle colors is hard to fit with other links too.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
But don't you already have this in your signature? :confused:

Look at edesignuk's sig in post #10, then look at mine. People actually know what MRoogle is by looking at his, mine just looks like a rainbow link to ... where?

I'll just take the silence as a no to moderator input.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007

It would have to be an admin

My biggest complaint is that URL's count when they are not even shown in your signature. say I take a google search result link. It is 94 characters when searching for "powerbook g4 1.67 ghz". There is almost 1/3 of your character limit that will not even be seen!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

Could just be that no one's seen it before now. ;)

It would have to be an admin

This may well have been discussed before, for all I know, but I'll make a note of it so that they know about this thread. But it likely won't get discussed in the next couple days, what with the event and all.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Could just be that no one's seen it before now. ;)

This may well have been discussed before, for all I know, but I'll make a note of it so that they know about this thread. But it likely won't get discussed in the next couple days, what with the event and all.

Thanks, I guess I was just getting impatient... I had reported the thread a few days ago asking for mod input but got nothing, but like I said ... impatient. Haha.

I appreciate the response and understand the event is the priority right now. Thanks again. - Eric

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I've found the code limit restricting at ttimes, when trying to host songs on dropbox for my sig, I've had to move it out of sub folders and place it just in the public folder, so that the code is shorter, it's not a biggy, but my public folder is now a mess because of it...

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Thanks, I guess I was just getting impatient... I had reported the thread a few days ago asking for mod input but got nothing, but like I said ... impatient. Haha.

I appreciate the response and understand the event is the priority right now. Thanks again. - Eric

Post reports are for rules violations, not for flagging down moderators to get them to notice and reply to your thread.

I'm with you on the thread cause but I reckon the mods are pretty busy at the moment. I imagine they'll look into it when they can.

The MRoogle tag thing is a brilliant idea, I hope it can be considered.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Post reports are for rules violations, not for flagging down moderators to get them to notice and reply to your thread.

I'm with you on the thread cause but I reckon the mods are pretty busy at the moment. I imagine they'll look into it when they can.

The MRoogle tag thing is a brilliant idea, I hope it can be considered.

Yah, I was just trying to get someones attention before the WWDC mayhem began, oh well. I believe a MRoogle tag would be perfect, although it would be nice if the code limit was revised either way.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I've found the code limit restricting at ttimes, when trying to host songs on dropbox for my sig, I've had to move it out of sub folders and place it just in the public folder, so that the code is shorter, it's not a biggy, but my public folder is now a mess because of it...

Tinyurl.com will shorten urls

or http://r.im/ if you want the shortest url

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Tinyurl.com will shorten urls

or http://r.im/ if you want the shortest url

the mroogle link itself isn't very long, it's the inclusion of markup in the character limit that poses a bit more problem if you want your MRoogle letters various google-esque colours. Plus, people can be wary of tinyurl links as it's never certain where they are actually going. It's nicer (IMO) to hover the link and see that it is going to MRoogle.

</my two pennies>

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Just for closure, I just spoke at annk and was advised that as of today there are going to be no changes to signature restrictions. Thanks for all of your input. I'm going to make a poll thread to see if there would really be an interest for a [MRoogle] tag. Thanks again - Eric

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
As I am currently struggling to get a couple lines of text into my signature and can't I really am frustrated with this limit. I see it has gone back to 150 excluding markup but it doesn't appear to work. According to my character counter I am under 150, it seems to be counting markup anyway? *shrug* My signatures are never huge and obtrusive so it's very irritating to stumble into this all the time - especially as a demi I really think allowing maybe just a little more would be nice. Even just 40 or 50 more? PLEASE consider it, admins? Please?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I see it has gone back to 150 excluding markup but it doesn't appear to work.
There have been no intentional changes. Please PM me the text that it wouldn't accept and I'll see if I can figure it out.

Edit on July 3: We figured out the explanation: the signature in question was OK under the 150-character visible-text limit but exceeded the 300-character limit on text+markup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.