Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
What is the deal with the signature size and line limitations? I don't understand...I see tons of people around here with very large signatures across 10-12 lines, but everytime I try to put just a few things in my signature I either max out the characters (150 I think??) or I have used more than 6 lines!!?? Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
It hasn't been applied retrospectively though - there are still plenty of people out there whose signatures exceed the limitations (particularly the 150 characters bit). It looks like the limit only works if you try and change your signature - those that were set up before the automatic limiting was introduced have remained.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
This to is a thing most mods love to take a special interest in. The best advice is "Don't make it so people can see it" :rolleyes: :p Apparently being flashy went out of style in the 90s :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacEffects said:
This to is a thing most mods love to take a special interest in. The best advice is "Don't make it so people can see it" :rolleyes: :p Apparently being flashy went out of style in the 90s :D

Yes, quite true - this includes using BLUE, GREEN, BOLD and RED in your sigs, right? :p :cool:

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
~Shard~ said:
Yes, quite true - this includes using BLUE, GREEN, BOLD and RED in your sigs, right? :p :cool:
:D Yeah, this is the Mod friendly Signature that I have now, I had change it like a million times to make it perfect and non-visible now :p :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
~Shard~ said:
The size in lines, characters, and point size are the most important factors.

If your sig has PURPLE, BROWN, or PINK, I know at least one moderator who won't mind. ;)

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Sharewaredemon said:
Report their post and in the report say that their signature is too long.
Really!
:rolleyes:
That is soooo square.

I mean, hey, if folks want to be mod-squad wanna-be's and report people for having a seven-line sig, that's their own business, I guess.

I remember from my time in the army that not everything is fair, rules aren't evenly enforced, and pointing these things out (i) doesn't score big points with the powers that be, and (ii) will quickly attract the sharp distaste from your community.

If you have a sig that only works logically on 7 lines, ask arn to let you use it. Maybe he'll agree that it's so cool that he'll give you a special deal. If he says no, tough. So let it drop. Complaining that "that dude uses 8" can only lead to one thing -- that other person's sig getting two lines cut off. Thanks dude -- you're a real team player.

Let the Mods be mods. JMHO. If I'm totally off base, I'm interested to hear.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
idea_hamster said:
If you have a sig that only works logically on 7 lines, ask arn to let you use it. Maybe he'll agree that it's so cool that he'll give you a special deal. If he says no, tough. So let it drop.
To date, nobody has gotten special permission for an oversized signature, and offhand I can't think of a case where we'd think it was appropriate, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

In any case, any serious requests for exceptions to the rule should be sent by Private message to me or to another moderator, not to arn.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
idea_hamster said:
Really!
:rolleyes:
That is soooo square.

I mean, hey, if folks want to be mod-squad wanna-be's and report people for having a seven-line sig, that's their own business, I guess.

Yeah, but it happens. Heck, I had a long .sig that was mostly in size 1 font, but someone complained, and now it's short.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Doctor Q said:
In any case, any serious requests for exceptions to the rule should be sent by Private message to me or to another moderator, not to arn.
Ah. Thanks -- I'm not particularly fluent in the internal workings of MR, although I would say that you folks do a bang-up job.

It's always good to know what the "chain of command" for a certain issue is.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
Report their post and in the report say that their signature is too long.

So does that mean we're supposed to report your signature? ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ehurtley said:
I checked, his .sig is 133 'visible characters', and 5 lines. Within limits.

Wow...I've apparently gone insane. I could swear I remember reading that spaces counted in the total, but that's obviously not the case. Haul me off to the loony bin, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.