signed a 2 year contract last month...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rxl125, May 18, 2008.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Sold the iphone today, will I be able to get the subsidize phone price if I resign for a 2 year contract?

Here is what I did...
    On March 15 signed up for att and got two free razors in the family plan (2 year plan)

next day bought an iphone, had to reup the 2 year contract again:)

sold the iphone today... What will be my options for the 3g phone if the att rumors are true?

2. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

If you renew your contract again for 2 years you should get the same treatment as any other AT&T member. That is my hope atleast as I am looking to do something similar closer to the release.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Subsidized prices are only available on other phones if you're out of your contract or pretty darn close (a month or so away). Don't expect a $200 price cut if you've got more than a couple of months left. It's how all other phones work.

4. Samwise592 macrumors regular

Lets do the math here.

The new iPhone is $400
    The subsidized price is $200
    The contract early-termination fee is $150 (i think?)

terminate your contract, sign up again... $50 savings.

There's something silly about a subsided iPhone, unless they come up with something clever

5. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

If Apple doesn't want a major outrage from existing customers they will find a way for this to be open to all customers. How it would seem fair to offer the product to someone who has had an Iphone, but not to someone who was willing to shell out the $ in the past is beyond me.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Wow .. sounds complicated. Why does it have to be so complicated?? :confused:

7. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

It shouldn't. As far as I know from my experience as a TMobile customer, you can buy a new phone anytime for the subsidized price as long as you sign a new agreement.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

But it's not Apple supposedly doing the subsidizing. Rumor is iPhone at Apple store = $400. iPhone at AT&T = $200 with 2 year contract. Since the OP just got subsidized Razors, he probably won't be eligible for an iPhone subsidy.

9. bstpierre macrumors 6502

You need to log into your account and see if you are eligible for a subsidized phone. It tells you plain and simple.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That's the case if your current phone is subsidized. However since the original iPhone was not subsidized this shouldn't apply.

11. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That's not an abnormal, or for that matter unfair, situation. It happens all the time with new products, new technology, etc. The reason I think the subsidized rumor has some possibility is that there are now several direct competitors to the iPhone available and more just around the corner. If the Instinct, for example, is available at $200-250 with a 2 year contract and the iPhone has no subsidy option with a forced 2 year contract I would imagine Apple will lose a lot of potential customers.

That would be infinitesimally stupid. The only credible subsidizing rumor is that the iPhone costs the normal price at both Apple and AT&T stores with the subsidy/rebate being applied during the setup process.

As for the original question, typically you aren't able to reap the rewards of a new two year contract until you are at least one year into your current contract. Contrary to the above poster...

... this isn't usually based on whether or not you received a subsidy on a phone you purchased at the time of the current contract.

The reason phone companies give subsidies is because the bulk of their profits come from contracted phone bills. If you are only two months into a two year contract with them they aren't going to be making a whole lot more money off of you than they already have you contracted for, so it isn't in their financial interest to give you a discount/rebate/subsidy.

In other words: if Apple/AT&T subsidize the iPhone and if the terms are consistent with the industry standards... no, you will not be able to take advantage of the subsidy.

13. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

has anyone noticed when you buy a new iphone, and activate the sim in it, your CONTRACT is renewed anyways!?!?!?!?!

something is fishy with that. I dont think thats fair to buy a phone, activate it, and it force you to sign a new 2yr contract.

14. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

This is true. My account says that I am eligible in July of 2009 for a new phone even though I paid full price on the iPhone and I've never had an account with AT&T prior. The odd thing is that I bought my iPhone in mid-December of 2007 but the 'eligibility' date is 17 months from the point the account started not 24.

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Were you transferring the SIM from the old to the new phone or activating the new SIM by itself? Supposedly transferring the SIM between phones does not. It sounds like you didn't do that. When you 'rent' the loaner phones from Apple all you have to do is transfer the SIM and it doesn't affect your contract.

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Go to "Upgrade Phone" on your AT&T web account page and you will see:

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I just did and it said I'm eligible for an equipment upgrade.

18. impact_blue macrumors regular

Well Apple will still be selling the iphone for retail, it's AT&T that's going to be doing the subsidizing. Apple will still be getting the same $$$ for each iphone sold, it's just AT&T will pick up the difference and bank on more new member contracts. So it's a win win.

Honestly I dont think they need to subsidize the iphone since it's still will attract new customers, but I know a lot of people out there not willing to pay $400 to $500 for a phone. This will sway those people on the fence.

If you wanna get mad at someone, get mad at AT&T. Just think of it as an early adopters fee ;)

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Were you a previous AT&T customer before the iPhone?

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's the only thing I will miss about T-Mo is the ability to upgrade at anytime with a discounted price.