signed up for new Cable Internet, many sites don't load now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by user123, Aug 14, 2015.

1. user123 macrumors newbie

Hello

I am on my MacBook Pro, recently just signed up for cable internet service (wi-fi router) at my house due to a move to a new city. I am unable to load Yahoo or Google pages on any browser. My Ipad, using wi-fi, loads them fine, so it must be something with my MacBook Pro.

Any ideas ?

Thank You !!!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your iPad is using a different OS from your MBPro.
    Is it just search pages? (Yahoo or Google), and all other web pages seem to load OK?

How about other search sites, like Bing, or DuckDuckGo?

Have you tried changing your DNS servers to one of the public DNS servers, like OpenDNS?
    Be sure to restart your Mac after changing the DNS settings. You should not need to restart, but that will make sure that the new settings load properly.

3. user123 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK it is Yahoo Finance that does not load, nor any Google News article

yahoo and google home pages load fine

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm… two very different sites.
    Do you get an error message of some kind - or just a blank page that doesn't ever change?

Have you tried deleting your Safari caches? Clearing History?

Might be something in your cookies. You can go in to your Safari Preferences/Privacy, Click the Details button under Cookies. You can search for Google or Yahoo, and remove specific cookies. You can also delete ALL cookies, if you want to do that. (Quit and relaunch Safari after making any changes)
    You might have some adware, etc on just one Mac, so download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Finally, it is Google and Yahoo, after all. I look forward to opportunities to ignore both. Maybe you can, too! (just saying' :D )

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just as a test, make a new admin account on the MacBook then login to that account and see if the problems persists.

If the problem goes away under the new account, that tells us there is something in your existing account blocking those sites.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

And let us know if you have any other networking devices involved...such as a Time Capsule.