Signed up for Verizon Edge through Verizon... How do I get Apple Care for my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilvenom, Sep 15, 2014.

1. lilvenom macrumors member

I signed up 5 phones on our account for Verizon Edge and we want to do the Apple Care protection on all of them probably.

Is it worth it to get Apple Care for Verizon Edge phones? How does that work if we Edge up early? Do we lose the Apple Care or can it be transferred to whatever new iPhone we get?

If we do go for Apple Care on these phones, how do we add it to our accounts?

2. jediuia macrumors regular

Doesn't sound worth it as applecare + is a two year program and pretty sure it doesn't transfer.

I was thinking about that too, its almost better to go with the Verizon monthly plan.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

When you get your phone just call Apple and purchase AC+. It would work the same way as if you bought it outright or on contract. When you turn it in you would lose the remainder. It's transferable to the new owner which is good for resale if your doing it yourself but your not in this case. When doing 12 month Edge/Next it may be better to look for an alternative. Squaretrade is $60 for a year with a $75 deductible. I haven't looked at their fine print lately so make sure you give it a good read. Carrier insurance is an option but their deductibles tend to be very high.

4. lilvenom thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, all the phones on our plan waited 2 years to upgrade- we're only doing Edge becuase it works out so much cheaper on a large family plan. So the Apple Care still might make sense.

If I am only keeping the phone for one year though, what is the standard protection these days that Apple provides without having to purchase anything?

5. Cryates macrumors 65816

AC+ is transferable but not from phone-to-phone. Only from owner-to-owner.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

6. leenak macrumors 68020

You have up to a year to sign up for apple care, meanwhile your phone is under warranty. If you think somehow that you will get a new phone in a year, then don't sign up for apple care yet.

7. Cryates macrumors 65816

No, you have 60 days from the time of purchase.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

8. DaveOP macrumors 65816

You need to go to an Apple Retail Store to add AppleCare+, but you can request a refund if you sell or trade the device early, and get a pro-rated refund back.

9. Cryates macrumors 65816

You can do it all over the phone, like I did.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

You could always sell your iPhone next year and use that money to pay off the remainder of your EDGE. Used iPhone in good condition + AC+ should equal out to enough to pay off your EDGE contract. I sold my 5S this year for $450, with no AC+, that definitely would have paid off the remainder of EDGE if I had had EDGE.

11. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Typically, this is not the case. AppleCare+ requires a device inspection to make sure the phone is not damaged prior to adding, but if they're making exceptions, that's awesome!

12. Cryates macrumors 65816

They have you run diagnostics on your phone while you are on with them. It bounces back any damage that may have already been done to the device.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It doesn't transfer, but it can be canceled and the prorated ( $100 divided by how many months are left) is refunded. If you are buying a new phone yearly that is effectively a $50 insurance on your phone with a $80 deductible usable up to two times. Obviously still doesn;t cover theft/loss.

I learned this the other day too. :)

14. leenak macrumors 68020

15. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

You were lucky.....or I was unlucky. They made me bring mine to a local Apple Store before I could purchase AppleCare.

16. Cryates macrumors 65816

Looks like I may gotten lucky. Or maybe they let me off the hook since the nearest Apple Store to me is 2 hours away.

17. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Apparently this was changed because they made me drive to an Apple store too. I was worried this time since I live almost 2:30 hours way form a Apple store but apparently now you can just run remote diagnostics. Makes life a lot easier.

18. Cryates macrumors 65816

Here it is people...you can call to get AC+ and I did so in January of this year:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Add apple care (either on the phone or at apple store) within the first 60 days. Add a rider to your homeowners or renters insurance to cover loss or theft. if you only have the phone for a year get a prorated refund on AppleCare minus a small fee (for canceling early)